X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

Large cache capacity

04 Jul 2024, 09:45

Hello,

I have received a message from my web provider that my disk space will soon be used up. I was surprised because I have only uploaded two photos in the last few weeks. I inquired where most of the data is located and was shown the Gallery cache directory:

./_cache/pages 

If the cache directory is the largest in a storage space of around 370 gigabytes, I wanted to clarify briefly how this comes about?

I know that I can delete the chace in the panel, but I would still like to ask how this is possible. I don't actually have that many photos and data in the Gallery, which is why this seems strange to me. 

Thanks for any help.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Large cache capacity

04 Jul 2024, 22:06

Dane wrote:./_cache/pages
This is a known issue that seems to have risen recently for some reason. I don't know why it happens, but I will be looking into it in a few weeks (once I finish another task I am working on). Please hang on until then.

In the meantime, please feel free to delete all content of `./_cache/pages`, as it just means some cache will then get recreated. It will likely start overpopulating again, until I solve the issue in next release.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

05 Jul 2024, 02:23

Hi Karl,

thank you for the confirmation, then I know. Regarding deleting, I can do this via the panel, see screenshot. Or should I delete the contents of the directory manually?
2024-07-05 08_24_07-Window.png
2024-07-05 08_24_07-Window.png (22.42 KiB) Viewed 100 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Jul 2024, 06:30

Dane wrote:thank you for the confirmation, then I know. Regarding deleting, I can do this via the panel, see screenshot. Or should I delete the contents of the directory manually?
It should work to delete from the panel, please try, and then first time, just check via FTP that items in the dir were deleted.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

05 Jul 2024, 06:50

Delete in the panel doesent work. I get a error message:
2024-07-05 12_47_32-Window.png
2024-07-05 12_47_32-Window.png (22.33 KiB) Viewed 92 times

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Jul 2024, 22:15

Dane wrote: Delete in the panel doesent work. I get a error message:
Ok, of course it should work, but in your case you are getting an errors either because of 1. server firewall, 2. permissions or 3. unable to delete the quantity of files (although that would normally give timeout). Anyway, this is a separate issue.

If you want to delete the files, you can delete them by FTP or SSH (most effective).

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

05 Jul 2024, 22:38

Hi Karl,

i deleted the content of this directory with the admin panel from my web provider. Before I did that, I had a quick look at the disk space statistics, and my entire web space was almost completely used up. After deleting it, I had just over 40 gigabytes free again. The problem seems to produce extreme amounts of data, if I'm reading this correctly. 

I hope you can fix this problem in the next time.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

05 Jul 2024, 22:46

Dane wrote: I hope you can fix this problem in the next time.
That's a strange high amount, but yes I will be looking into it shortly.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

06 Jul 2024, 23:52

As I have just discovered, there is now considerably less free disk space available. After my first attempt, 15% (50 gigabytes) was free again, today it only shows 5%, although I haven't done anything. So out of 50 GB, only 16 GB are still free, and I can't imagine where these large amounts of data in the folder come from. I have just deleted the directory again, and I have gained 31.5% free space. 

I always delete the whole pages directory because I can't access it at all as it takes a long time to load. Deleting the directory also takes a very long time. 

If I am the only user with such an extreme problem, what is the cause?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Jul 2024, 06:52

Dane wrote: As I have just discovered, there is now considerably less free disk space available. After my first attempt, 15% (50 gigabytes) was free again, today it only shows 5%, although I haven't done anything. So out of 50 GB, only 16 GB are still free, and I can't imagine where these large amounts of data in the folder come from. I have just deleted the directory again, and I have gained 31.5% free space. 

I always delete the whole pages directory because I can't access it at all as it takes a long time to load. Deleting the directory also takes a very long time. 
I'm really not sure what we are discussing now. As we have already agreed upon, there is an issues with files getting created in _cache/pages ... If you delete the files, which you can, then it will obviously make the space available that these files consumed. It won't make any space available from OTHER locations, as it seems you speak of different "attempts", and not sure what you mean by this ... If you delete files in this dir, and you still keep on getting less space, it means files must be getting created somewhere else also.
Dane wrote: If I am the only user with such an extreme problem, what is the cause?
You are not the only one, as I have noticed this myself also, and another user reported it. In your case, it just seemed like an extreme amount. As noted, I will be looking into it asap. Until then, you will need to delete the dir, and possibly delete again in a week or so if it populates that quickly.

Dane
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Jul 2024, 11:11

Hi Karl,

sorry for the confusion, I'm only talking about the _cache/pages directory. I deleted it again today, and yesterday's approx. 30% has now become 50%. I didn't do anything other than delete the pages directory. I am currently not running anything else on the web server except the X3 Gallery. 

Green is free, left is before deleting, right after deleting. The entire pie chart would be 350 gigabytes.
Screenshot 2024-07-07 170301.jpg
Screenshot 2024-07-07 170301.jpg (44.99 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Since this change always happens immediately after deleting the pages directory, and I have no other applications running on the web server, I strongly assume that these large fluctuations come from the pages directory. 

But I have now understood that this is probably normal at the moment and affects several users. I just wanted to rule out a mistake on my part. 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

07 Jul 2024, 22:18

Dane wrote:I deleted it again today, and yesterday's approx. 30% has now become 50%.
You mean, it was 30% and went up to 50% already? Yea it seems a lot, but you would need to confirm the issue by checking inside the dir if it's getting re-populated that quickly. We already know there is an issue, and it does seem extreme on your server.

If you want to solve the issue temporarily, by disabling the cache entirely, you can open the file app/cache.inc.php, line 118:
Code
file_put_contents($this->cachefile, $data);
Comment it out:
Code
// file_put_contents($this->cachefile, $data);
I wouldn't normally recommend disabling cache, but I assume it should be relatively harmless, and should prevent files getting written into the _cache/pages dir.