Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

pleibling
Experienced
Topic Author

Upload / Resize slow on new powerull Server

28 Mar 2018, 11:05

Hello, some Days a go i moved to a new Server (old one was Dual Core AMD with 4 GB RAM and SATA Disk - the new One hat Quad Core Xeon, 16 GB Ram and HP Raid Controller with Raid 5 SAS).

But on the new Server the Upload / Resize Needs more Time.

As example i have a 5.5 MB Image, on booth Systems the file is round about 0.5 MB and Resize to 1600 x 1600 with 95% Quality. On the old Server the Uploads only some seconds every file, but on the new Server it Needs near one Minut to Upload every file.

But on the System i see no Systemload or Diskload, everythings Looks good.

How can i get a better Performance?

Thanks a lot.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Upload / Resize slow on new powerull Server

28 Mar 2018, 16:32

pleibling wrote:but on the new Server it Needs near one Minut to Upload every file.
Upload TIME has nothing to do with the how powerful the server is. It's about the network connection speed of the server, relative to the network connection of the client that is uploading. If you are unhappy with upload/download speed, you need to diagnose the NETWORK of where the server is hosted. It could also be firewall related or something else even.

If you have login, I can try myself.

This has nothing to do with the X3 application itself. We don't (and can't) "throttle" the speed of uploading, as this is a pure client -> server operation.
pleibling wrote:How can i get a better Performance?
If this is about the network speed only, that needs to be diagnosed separately, and is not related to how powerful your server is.

If you have a link, I can test how fast is resizes images for example, as that is a CPU-related.
pleibling wrote:Hello, some Days a go i moved to a new Server (old one was Dual Core AMD with 4 GB RAM and SATA Disk - the new One hat Quad Core Xeon, 16 GB Ram and HP Raid Controller with Raid 5 SAS).
You didn't really mention WHERE this was hosted. It doesn't matter if you have the worlds fastest computer for hosting, if it's not hosted with excellent network routing conditions.

A couple of weeks ago, I setup a new server in Frankfurt with excellent speeds (link provided if required).

If you even just have a link to your website, I can do some speed tests on it. Load some static files (not processed by X3) for example. X3 can't make your server go faster.

pleibling
Experienced
Topic Author

28 Mar 2018, 17:01

The new connection is much faster than the old one, the new has an Internetuplink from 5.1 GBit and the connection via ESXI/VM to Coreswitch/Firewall is 1 GBit.

I think this isn't the problem, my idea was that i have an PHP Setting (e.g. Cache or Limit in php.ini), that is not optimal for X3.

What for an Access do you need for Speedtest? Can i add an additional User oder have i to set a new adminpassword and send it to you via PM?

Thanks a lot for your help.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Mar 2018, 00:53

pleibling wrote:The new connection is much faster than the old one, the new has an Internetuplink from 5.1 GBit and the connection via ESXI/VM to Coreswitch/Firewall is 1 GBit.

I think this isn't the problem, my idea was that i have an PHP Setting (e.g. Cache or Limit in php.ini), that is not optimal for X3.
Sorry, but no, there are no "PHP settings" or "cache settings" in PHP that improve the SPEED of uploading to (or downloading from) X3 (or any website on your server). This is directly related to client/network speed and/or some (mis)configuration on your server that is limiting speed (although I never heard of this). Even for resizing images, the process will be proportional to the CPU speed of the server, unless somehow it's been limited on your server.

If you are having problems with upload speed, you will need to research this on server/network level, as it is unrelated to the application and can't be adjusted or optimized on application level (PHP). I am not even aware that this can be controlled in any way from Apache.
pleibling wrote:What for an Access do you need for Speedtest? Can i add an additional User oder have i to set a new adminpassword and send it to you via PM?
First of all, just a link to the website. That will allow me to:
  • Test outgoing bandwidth to various files from various locations.
  • Test speed of resizing images, which is CPU related.
  • If you also give me login to panel, I can test upload speed.
pleibling wrote:The new connection is much faster than the old one, the new has an Internetuplink from 5.1 GBit and the connection via ESXI/VM to Coreswitch/Firewall is 1 GBit.
Sounds all good of course, but your information is incomplete. Is it housed at a real server host? Is it shared? Apache or Nginx? PHP version? SSL? Is the output of the website also slow?

Optimizing a server for X3:
  • Latest version of PHP (7+).
  • Apache 2.4+, or even better: NGINX.
  • sufficient memory_limit (although 128MB is normally enough).
In addition, there are ways to optimize the server for fastest output to visitor (cache headers output, gzip/br compression, NGINX cache, Cloudflare etc.), but this has nothing to do with upload/download speed or speed of processing (like image resizing).

Uploading, downloading and resizing (processing) would be proportional to your server network/cpu resources. If there is a problem with one or the other, you need to diagnose it on server level. Could be misconfiguration, slow internal routing, or firewall. It won't matter what PHP settings you have, or what application you are using (X3, wordpress etc).

pleibling
Experienced
Topic Author

29 Mar 2018, 11:22

Thats strange - now i test in the same Subnet, there is no Firewall, no SPI, no Webfilter and so on: But the same Error, it loads very long. I disabled resize, but the same error. Some uploads broken and show Error 1.

The Server and the Network has no Workload.

Can you send me Please your Emailaddress via PM i send you the adminpassword for your tests.

Thanks a lot.

pleibling
Experienced
Topic Author

29 Mar 2018, 12:32

Send Logondata via PN.

Thanks.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

29 Mar 2018, 13:15

Your server is UNSTABLE ... Something with the network connection.

Check my upload speeds initially, from Asia, FAST:

After upload, It halted. Your server wasn't responding for 30 seconds or so.

Same experience with download. First 5 minutes, it took 10-15 seconds to download an image.

Then, suddenly, 5 min later, it's download super fast:

Your diagnostics page doesn't even load. Why? Some network issue, perhaps with CURL vs Firewall, but definitely related to the same issue that is affecting you globally.
http://www.michaelknauft.de/?diagnostics
https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/cPhaZz/htt ... iagnostics

I'm gonna be honest with you here: You seem to have a problem somewhere, but I don't know where on your server. You could upload latest version of X3, but there is no reason that will help. The slowness/instability is not on application-level. There are no "settings" you can tweak. I can't help further with issues unrelated to X3. If I was to guess, I would guess something with routing, not necessarily on the physical server itself. You will need to figure it out if you need to setup self-hosted server like this.

For comparison, below is our server in Frankfurt. There are no specific settings.
michaelhoedle.ch