Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

selor

Re: New Release X3.25.0 :whale:

28 Nov 2018, 11:43

Hi Karl :)

I am wondering on Something in the future and i want to know which is the limit of this … or would it be possible to implement this in the future or o part of this :

I am explain ..

We are Hundred millions of users today to have a nice Synology NAS in our office / or Houses .
Today it exist as i know .. only 2 or 3 Tools to manage with you personnals photos .. and we search all the same needs as i could find on some forums of these products ..

- Synology propose "Moments" wich is a sort of timeline of photos .. permit you to save all the content of photos on an iPhone / Ipad … android to push them on your nas .. Lovely ..
The interesting thing about this product is this functionnality .. look you photos from everywhere .. independantly from the GRRR Icloud .. and it permit the user who have à NAS to save and synchronise and Share his photos Under the Synology user environnement . So its Private and cool .
The only problem is the way it makes directory .. one day .. one hour .. one directory ..
And you cant make albums like ALbum1 with a directory Album1 with the photo Inside ..
You couldnt make Subdirectories …

For only this Reason many user dont use it ..

Second product Always from Synology is Photostation wich is a sort of Album directory based classement for photos .. a king of result like what we could make with your favorite X3 … but we need to use a software to upload to photostation … or trough the web page .. in order to have photos displayed like you want .. ( FTP directly or using their DRive … corrupt the rights and chmods … and it put this tool at a bad level because of the rights who are not well implemented …)

A third solution i have tried is PLEX server …
which is frist develloped for videos .. but it works with photos ..
Same problem .. many problems of display for albums .. formats of images … and the only user right is using their website account system …

Thats why i am studying implement à solution for the display part with YOUR X3 …

So :
- Is it possible to have X3 installed on a Synology ? Its seems Yes
- Did X3 have an App Android and IOS to push the save of photos like Moments make it ? No ( Maybe in the future ? )
- Today if i have hundreds albums and subalbums already created .. i put them Under the Synology/drive/MYALLSUPERALBUMSUNDERX3/
did it will function directly ? 
- I have 10 Users who have all their accounts and private drive, permission rights are setup by the Synology administration 
would it be possible to have X3 working for all my users ?  Today if i want to make this .. i have to install 10 Times X3 Under each Drive ?
The Photostation way is interesting because all users have their own hierarchy of photoalbums with their own contents but dont want to share all with other users .. iam not talking about social network but share between users Under the Synology ..
Timeline Presentation Suck when you have hundred photo in a all life ..and all humans .. need to Class them sometime not only in a timeline way but in a sort of organised Event life … 2018/

And a last functionality really need with will be to be WebOS compatible ..
Si i try to understand the problem or difference with hierarchy between X3/WebOS/Photostation/Moments/PLEX … 

Maybe i am not the only one who post this sort of need on your forum ..

Thanks for your answers ..
I am using X3 for my website and my first photogallery was your first one in flash witch was my favorite .. but technologies . develloped .. Everyday ..and i know its hard to advance in the good sens for all ..

Thanks for reactions Karl .. 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

28 Nov 2018, 13:14

Hi! Long question, and I don't have personal experience with Synology NAS, but I will try to answer the questions. I can say up front, X3 is primarily designed as a WEBSITE, and not specifically a dynamic indexing-system ... I might be thinking of a separate application for that, perhaps more like X2, although of course using modern technologies.
selor wrote:- Is it possible to have X3 installed on a Synology ? Its seems Yes
Yes. I remember someone set up X3 on Synology. After all, you can install Apache, Nginx and PHP, so it's just like a normal web-server (if setup correctly).
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... nology_NAS
selor wrote:- Did X3 have an App Android and IOS to push the save of photos like Moments make it ? No ( Maybe in the future ? )
Hmm, you mean a native mobile app that can upload images to X3 without using the X3 control panel from the web? I am not quite sure what you mean by "push the save". I checked an app from Synology called "Moments", which is basically just a private viewer of photos stored online. X3 website already does this publicly of course, and we don't have plans to create a private gallery app viewer, where other cloud-based services are probably superior.
selor wrote:- Today if i have hundreds albums and subalbums already created .. i put them Under the Synology/drive/MYALLSUPERALBUMSUNDERX3/
did it will function directly ? 
Yes, as long as your images are in folders inside your main X3 /content/ folder. Just one thing you should know: Since X3 uses cached page output for best speed/performance, you will need to invalidate the cache after you push new folders into X3 by FTP or file-system without using the panel (which manages cache automatically when you make changes). Simply run script /panel/touch.php after manual changes you have made to folders.
selor wrote:- I have 10 Users who have all their accounts and private drive, permission rights are setup by the Synology administration 
would it be possible to have X3 working for all my users ?  Today if i want to make this .. i have to install 10 Times X3 Under each Drive ?
Your question is a bit unclear. You can of course have X3 with galleries like yourX3website.com/galleries/USER/folder. Or were you hoping that root URL yourX3website.com could display different galleries depending on who is logged in? I am not quite sure how you would expect this to work ... X3 is a website application, and a single URL should not represent different output depending on users.

Or were you hoping for some yourX3website.com/USER1 and yourX3website.com/USER2, each with different styles and designs, all managed from the same X3 control panel? Sorry, but this is not reasonable to expect. You would need multiple X3 installations for that.
selor wrote:The Photostation way is interesting because all users have their own hierarchy of photoalbums with their own contents but dont want to share all with other users .. iam not talking about social network but share between users Under the Synology ..
This doesn't really sound logical for a website application. Sharing their pages with different users on the same system, some public on the web? You can create password for ANY pages in X3, so any /USER1/ could password their page /USER1/PROTECTED-PAGE/. I don't see how you can translate a "website" into "share between users under the synology". If possible, surely this is more something image-sharing services like Google or iCloud are possibly capable of.
selor wrote:And a last functionality really need with will be to be WebOS compatible ..
X3 is WebOS compatible if you have PHP installed in WebOS, which I see exists. X3 should be able to support any server that has PHP installed, which is required for any kind of web application to read your images and photos.
selor wrote:Si i try to understand the problem or difference with hierarchy between X3/WebOS/Photostation/Moments/PLEX … 
X3 is a PHP web application, and ultimately, it can share any structure of folders and images that you place under it's /content/ directory. If you just want private image archiving and don't care too much about the speed and user experience, surely there are better options than X3. If you want a neat website to showcase your images to others, then X3 should be a strong candidate.

selor

29 Nov 2018, 07:34

Anylink to download the old last X2 ?
Link seems broken 

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

29 Nov 2018, 09:52

selor wrote:Anylink to download the old last X2 ?
https://www.photo.gallery/download/x2.zip