Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

Re: New Release X3.23.0 :deer:

04 Oct 2017, 23:18

Kat wrote:Another addition for next release Karl, as you said that you will look into here https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9152 :
I wrote on my wishlist :
-  sidebar menu  with subfolders : i wish that the dropdown close when clicking to another page where there is no child-pages like "contact".
I will look into it. It will have to be an option, because not in all cases would I want my currently "opened" menu categories to close just because I click another item that doesn't have child pages.
Kat wrote:Or maybe you can help me with custom css in the meantime ?
You were thinking of styling for .child-active? You can't fix the above through custom CSS, as it would be controlled by javascript.
Kat wrote:As i was inspecting deeper X3 stylesheet, should it be this little error why the active state is almost invisible ?
just correcting on your side rgba(0,0,0,0.05) to (0,0,0,0.3) would be ok and match the layout. 
You are right ... Almost. As you point out, the style is already added, and I also remember why it's set at low opacity. One thing is to have a strong emphasis on the menu-item for the current ACTIVE page, but it's another thing to place equally strong emphasis on menu-items for parent pages (could be multiple levels of parent pages) of current page. The menu can easily seem uncluttered if there are multiple emphasis (backgrounds) on different menu items, making it counter-productive. In your case, that would not apply of course, but we can't really implement different levels of style for child-active menu items depending on if child pages are hidden or not.

Add the fact that there are multiple skins. For example, the default skin's child-active class already looks like this with rgba(0,0,0,0.05):

Changing to rgba(0,0,0,0.3) would look like this:

These minor adjustments would have to be applied on a per-skin basis, with all conditions taken into consideration. We will be overhauling skins at some point, but for now, I think you would have to use custom styling for .child-active {}.

Kat
Experienced

05 Oct 2017, 05:50

mjau-mjau wrote: I will look into it. It will have to be an option, because not in all cases would I want my currently "opened" menu categories to close just because I click another item that doesn't have child pages.
I understand, but in this case p.ex one click on "test"page, the above menu stay open. We must  close manually the opened menu or just leave it that way. It's not a bit confusing ?
mjau-mjau wrote: These minor adjustments would have to be applied on a per-skin basis, with all conditions taken into consideration. We will be overhauling skins at some point, but for now, I think you would have to use custom styling for .child-active {}.
In the case of "folders" setting, as i showed you in pm, the sidebar menu-active color is clearer when it's stay the same color as the :hover, like in the horizontal menu ontop. Why the active link status become almost invisible when  surfing between folders when in fact we are still in the same menu  ?
For now i changed the transparency to 0.3 in my custom css and its work ok.

Thank you for your answer

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

05 Oct 2017, 06:28

Kat wrote:I understand, but in this case p.ex one click on "test"page, the above menu stay open. We must  close manually the opened menu or just leave it that way. It's not a bit confusing ?
In your screenshot, if I have actively clicked to OPEN the gallery sub-sections, why would I necessarily want to close that menu section just because I click an independent page "contact"? I may want to keep those menu items open ... After all, I opened it myself, and didn't click to close it. It's not like all visitors browse in linear fashion through a website, and clicking the "contact" page doesn't mean they are "finished" with the other pages. Additionally, if the menu above would collapse after clicking "contact", it means the contact-button would "jump" upwards immediately after click, which is not optimal.

Most "TREE" menu's work like this, and don't auto-close sub-menus when clicking around, but leave the user in full control of the tree structure. Anyway, if we are to add this, it will be an OPTION, not default.
mjau-mjau wrote:In the case of "folders" setting, as i showed you in pm, the sidebar menu-active color is clearer when it's stay the same color as the :hover, like in the horizontal menu ontop. Why the active link status become almost invisible when  surfing between folders when in fact we are still in the same menu  ?
For now i changed the transparency to 0.3 in my custom css and its work ok.
I already explained this in my previous post. First of all, we are speaking of child-active class, which applies to all PARENT menu items of the current page item, not menu-active class for the currently active page. Yes in your specific case (dark skin + child items hidden), the style is not very clear. For reasons explained, we can't just slap on a strong emphasis style on ALL child-active items, which could span across multiple menu items. When child menus are not hidden (like you have them), the parent menu item is already emphasized anyway when it is open.

Glad the custom CSS works! Different preferences in style can't always be hardcoded across all skins for all layouts and setting-combinations.

Kat
Experienced

06 Oct 2017, 05:57

mjau-mjau wrote: Most "TREE" menu's work like this, and don't auto-close sub-menus when clicking around, but leave the user in full control of the tree structure. Anyway, if we are to add this, it will be an OPTION, not default.
I understand and see the advantage of leaving the user full control of the tree structure. For me however,  it is more logical and less confusing,  that if i click on "home" or "contact" or any other page, the page i was visiting close, like it does for the topbar layout or it did in X2 and how it does when surfing through drop-down menu with child-pages. When i click on a dropdown menu, then goes to another  with child-pages, the one i was visiting close without clicking manually close and collapse anyway.
Like you said it's not possible to add a custom css but maybe help me for a custom javascript or hopefully  you can add this as an option in some future release.

Thank you

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

06 Oct 2017, 10:45

Kat wrote:I understand and see the advantage of leaving the user full control of the tree structure. For me however,  it is more logical and less confusing,  that if i click on "home" or "contact" or any other page, the page i was visiting close, like it does for the topbar layout or it did in X2 and how it does when surfing through drop-down menu with child-pages. When i click on a dropdown menu, then goes to another  with child-pages, the one i was visiting close without clicking manually close and collapse anyway.
Just to conclude, I know exactly what you are asking and why, and I have already said I will look into adding it as an option, hopefully without polluting the X3 panel with more settings that confuses each new user. I assume you have also understood why it would have to be an OPTION and not a hardcoded change.

I don't see how you can compare topbar HOVER menu's with sidebar tree menus. A menu subsection will close when you MOUSE OUT from it, not from clicking or hovering another separate link. This can't apply for a sidebar tree menu, unless we change it to a sidebar HOVER menu (which would be very different). I don't recall X2 having this functionality, and I can't remember seeing any sidebar tree-menu's work like that before either. It's not a bad idea though ...
Kat wrote:Like you said it's not possible to add a custom css but maybe help me for a custom javascript or hopefully  you can add this as an option in some future release.
It's too complicated for a custom solution, and needs to be built into the X3 tree menu system.

THNX!

$winter

09 Oct 2017, 20:33

mjau-mjau wrote:
florent wrote:What about update from  0.21.0 => X3.23.0 ?

Go ahead, use the new X3 Updater script :thumbsup:

perfect!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

25 Nov 2017, 11:17

X3 Updater Adblock issues have now been resolved in latest release X3.24.0.
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9445
  • If you are not yet updated to X3.24 (or higher), you may still need to disable adblock to use panel > Tools > X3 Updates.
  • Adblock issues also solved in x3_installer.php and x3_updater.php scripts.
  • The REASON adblock recently starting blocking X3 update requests, is because they seem to have decided to block POST requests to external URL's with paths consisting of more than three letters ({URL}/downloads/). This has been resolved from our side by having our update API hosted at {URL}/d/.