Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

X3 [0.18] Xtreme Speed BetaBeta Pre-Release!

10 May 2016, 11:34

Important!
Please do NOT update this new version over your current production website quite yet. There has been a massive amount of changes to the core, and we need to test this version for at least 24 hours before we make an official release. There are also a few CHANGES that you need to be made aware of before updating your production environment.

Beta Test
Please, I would like some beta-testers to install this new version in a sub-folder on their website strictly for testing. Download the FULL version x3.latest.zip, as x3.latest.nocontent.zip version has not been updated yet. Upload to a subfolder on your server.

- Check diagnostics (just load the website before logging in to panel)
- Login to panel
- Check new "refresh menu" in panel
- Check new settings -> settings -> "Menu Processing"
- Check new tools -> "previews"
- Create some folders, upload some images, play around etc.
- Check website ...
- Check general speed of pages, both cached and non-cached.
- Search for bugs
- Please send a link to me (in PM if you want), as I would like to do some diagnostics.

Imagevue X3 0.18 Xtreme Speed Edition
So what the heck is this update? I won't go into detail right now, but we have made massive changes to the core, resulting in enormous server-performance benefits. Before I set out on this mission, I was predicting that I could perhaps increase output speed by 2x. However, by tweaking on so many levels and adding some smart features, it seems we may have an average performance boost of 5-10x (compared to earlier). Sounds unbelievable right? The performance not only affects the page-building process, but your cached pages will be output much faster also. Those on SLOW servers (or with extensive content), will notice a huge difference. Those on fast servers, will have pages output like greased lightning. Hooray for fast loading pages!

There are also a few new features and bug fixes, which I will explain in detail in an official release, hopefully within a day or two.

Tests
Some quick speed tests from our (MT) Media Temple Shared server environment. Testing environment was a page with 28 images, and the default release sample content.

Page creation time before anything has been cached.
Code
<!-- Page creation output time: 0.29689502716064 seconds -->
* The above process includes creation of the new menu cache, and the new data cache file.

Page creation time for building a new page, after new menu- and data has been cached.
Code
<!-- Page creation output time: 0.15347194671631 seconds -->
Cached page output time.
Code
<!-- Cache output time: 0.0056369304656982 seconds -->

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

Re: X3 [0.18] Xtreme Speed BetaBeta Pre-Release!

10 May 2016, 11:50

PS! Performance boost does not affect creation time of resizing images on your server while your image cache is being created in early stages. That process is a CONSTANT, relative to your server speed, which can't be improved to any significant degree. Once your resized images get cached on server, they will be fast anyway.

The UPDATE is in regards to build- and output speed of pages, both cached and non-cached. This is what a visitor is waiting for before they see the website appear in their browser, and also what SEO/search engines care about.

Martin
Experienced

10 May 2016, 12:54

I've got some time tomorrow :-)
I'll let you know...

EHRETic
Experienced

10 May 2016, 14:29

Hi :-)

I've a test environnement which is a copy of my current website. But what would be interesting for performance checks is not only start from an empty site but "upgrade" the full site.

What do I need to upload from file (or keep from website) to do that ? If possible of course. I can set it up within minutes depending on the work.

Let me know ! :wink:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

11 May 2016, 01:58

EHRETic wrote:I've a test environnement which is a copy of my current website. But what would be interesting for performance checks is not only start from an empty site but "upgrade" the full site.

What do I need to upload from file (or keep from website) to do that ? If possible of course. I can set it up within minutes depending on the work.
Basically, you could just copy your /CONTENT/ and /CONFIG/ folders into the new installation, and skip uploading those folders from the download. Just remember to run url/?diagnostics first on the test url.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

11 May 2016, 03:44

Fixed a bug with PHP 5.4 and lower ...
Fixed a bug with "refresh menu" timer always returning "0.0 seconds"

Martin
Experienced

11 May 2016, 05:40

Hi Karl,

Did some installing and testing.
Looks good and fast... didn't notice any strange things... yet :-)

All actions done to testsite: actingworks.nl

1) installed v0.14 (this is the version of my production site) on testsite without config/content
2) copied config/content from my production site (martinbroeze.nl) to testsite
3) tested testsite
=> same site as production site (only difference is that this one is not on Cloudflare) and has no initial cache

4) run: actingworks.nl/?diagnostics
=> "X3 diagnostics v.0.18.0 Everything seems to be OK!"

5) login to panel
=> panels shows shortly v.0.18.0

6) Check new "refresh menu" in panel
=> clicking on ? shows help screen
=> clicking on REFRESH MENU
=> "Menu refreshed in 0.18 seconds"

7) Check new settings -> settings -> "Menu Processing"
=> Manual Refresh has checkmark

8 ) Check new tools -> "previews"
=> Tools screen shows v.0.18.0
=> clicking on Previews shows "Update Preview Images"
=> clicking on ? shows help screen
=> clicking on "Update Preview Images" shows list with 11 changes
=> when you mouse over the lines, a little thumb of the previewimage is shown NICE!
=> when you click on a folder or an image, it shows you the folder/image NICE!
=> in the the gallery you see a yellow flag that indicates which image is the preview image NICE!
Great option to check and correct your preview images!!!!

9) Creating a new Gallery and uploading some files
=> OK, no problem

10) Checking website: seems to be fast...
and the testsite is NOT using Cloudflare and has no cache whatsoever from the beginning...
GTmetrix gives PageSpeed Score A(95%) / YSlow Score A(94%)

11) Created Preload Site Object
=> OK

I will send you more information (by PM), so you can access the admin yourself

Scoop643

11 May 2016, 09:53

PM!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

11 May 2016, 13:50

Ok, I have released an X3 0.18.1 update with a few small fixes. Also updated the x3.latest.nocontent.zip download link ... I will make a new official post tonight, and I recommend reading it before anyone updates their production website.

Thanks all for testing!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

12 May 2016, 04:54

This post has now been superseded by the official release:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9000