Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

andreamarucci
Experienced

Re: X3 Status Update [Aug 15]

20 Nov 2015, 08:00

Karl, can this one replace the previous 0.11 release or it's better to wait the RC?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

20 Nov 2015, 09:31

tschortsch wrote:I was actually trying to ask for an option to place text next to the logo which can be styled separately for the startpage, e. g. if I use a logo composed of a graphic and white text, the color of the text naturally remains the same when navigating through the gallery. While the text looks great on the startpage (index page) set with an darker image as background it is hardly legible on all other sites where the background color is similar to text color..

Would this be possible solely using custom CSS magic?
I am not 100% sure what you are asking about here, as there are references to both text and image.

Basically you have a lot of freedom in terms of CSS. For example, you could add a class "startpage" to the body of your startpage. Then, you can use that class to style the logo separate for this page only. For example:
Code
.startpage .logo {
  color: tomato;
}
Sorry, but I don't have much time to contribute custom CSS implementations right, although I can give advice. Please can you post questions in a separate thread, because they are not really related to this release.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

20 Nov 2015, 10:17

andreamarucci wrote:Karl, can this one replace the previous 0.11 release or it's better to wait the RC?
Just posted about the convert.php process here:
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.p ... 20&start=0

This version should be safe to use, and even if you wait for RC, you will still need to run the convert process. Updating from 0.12 is much easier now anyway, so future updating to new releases is effortless.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

22 Nov 2015, 00:03

New Update v0.12.14
Fixed some bugs, and added support for Chatra.io. Normal download link, or you can get the smaller version without sample "content" folder at x3.latest.nocontent.zip.

0.12.14 Update Reference
- Fixed toolbar bug (thanks @Soundinhell)
- Fixed broken preload for latest mobile browsers.
- Added native support for the Chatra.io chat plugin (more info to follow). Chatra is the best chat-plugin available, and it is free (for most required features), so this will be the new chat-option supported natively in X3. It is easy to setup, and you can download chat apps for Mac, Win and mobile.

Update
As usual, copy all new files over, except content and config folders.

Updated Demo
https://demo.photo.gallery/

andreamarucci
Experienced

23 Nov 2015, 04:34

Fantastic Karl, so the procedure for upgrading will be

Download the new release
replace the old one except for content and config
run convert.php

right?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

23 Nov 2015, 09:11

andreamarucci wrote:Fantastic Karl, so the procedure for upgrading will be

Download the new release
replace the old one except for content and config
run convert.php

right?
Basically yes. I answered your convert-related question in the convert-thread.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

26 Nov 2015, 10:23

Update X3 0.12.15
Another update with minor fixes.

- Favicon moved to /content/custom/favicon/, which can now be edited from panel, and will not get overwritten on update. Folder /public/images/ is now removed.
- Fixed various incorrect texts in panel
- Fixed demo/sample password
- contact/rss/feed icon-buttons in fotter are not inherited into menu-contact
- fixed issue with custom popups zoom
- fixed various disqus bugs
- Popup now goes in front of chat module (z-index).
- Added "panel" to robots.txt to prevent bots from indexing the panel
- Tooltip feature disable for touch/mobile
- Fixed some PHP stuff

Update Notes
Update as usual, without overwriting /content and /config folders. Important! There is a new folder /content/custom/favicon/, which must be copied into that location in your content. If you are downloading without content (x3.latest.nocontent.zip), you can download this folder separately here: https://d.pr/f/1cZB0.

Martin
Experienced

27 Nov 2015, 08:55

mjau-mjau wrote:Update X3 0.12.15
Another update with minor fixes.
Updating is now piece of cake :-)
mjau-mjau wrote:- Favicon moved to /content/custom/favicon/, which can now be edited from panel, and will not get overwritten on update. Folder /public/images/ is now removed.
Typo: "/public/images/" should be "/public/img/"

In release X3.012.14 there were some other files in /public/img/:
icon-114.png
icon-144.png
logo.jpg
preview.png
These files are not used anymore? If so, I can get rid off my own versions of these files.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

27 Nov 2015, 10:37

Martin wrote:In release X3.012.14 there were some other files in /public/img/:
icon-114.png
icon-144.png
logo.jpg
preview.png
These files are not used anymore? If so, I can get rid off my own versions of these files.
Yes, you can delete your entire public/img/ folder.

We decided to simplify things, and get rid of everything except the favicon.png ... This is the main icon you will be wanting to change, as it is displayed in browsers, tabs, and favorites. There are in fact a load of other icons/sizes that can be set, that offer optional icons for various devices when visitors create a shortcut etc. However, it is an insane mess of files, sizes and manifest files ... Have a quick look at this:
https://css-tricks.com/favicon-quiz/

No chance in hell we would want to push such a task upon X3 users. Before last release, I did some testing myself to see if it was feasible to require additional icons in X3, and this is what I ended up with:

These icons wouldn't generally be used much for an average website anyway. They are basically just for having a "perfect" icon-size if a visitor creates a shortcut for your page on their device screen/desktop.

Martin
Experienced

27 Nov 2015, 11:50

mjau-mjau wrote: ... Have a quick look at this:
https://css-tricks.com/favicon-quiz/
Wow... never knew the web to be such an icon mess... funny article, too.
And it could be so simple: put 1 hi-res image in the root of a website, so that every browser can derive its own version from it...
Probably I'm to naive :-)

Soundinhell

30 Nov 2015, 12:16

Online generator does all that automatically in a zip file from one image you upload. First time, I thought it was some kind of malware.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

30 Nov 2015, 12:47

Soundinhell wrote:Online generator does all that automatically in a zip file from one image you upload. First time, I thought it was some kind of malware.
It's still a crap process. Look at the browserconfig.xml and manifest.json files ... They have to contain correct paths, so I would need to create a long tutorial on how to use a 3rd party icon-generator from a separate website, and how to upload it to the panel with FTP. Many users don't even know how to create a favicon png in the first place ... Furthermore, I would need to include ALL those icons in the <head> code (bloat), and even worse, I need to detect in PHP that each and every icon exists before added, which is a slow process. I can't make it obligatory.

And all that for what benefit? Just in case a visitor wants to add a website to their mobile device home screen, and get a nice icon. Apart from the owner of the website, this is highly unusual behavior from a visitor unless your website is an "app" they need to access frequently. Favicon.png is still there to be used for tabs and bookmarks anyway, for all devices.

This isn't a process we want to require or include into X3, as it doesn't provide any leverage.

Soundinhell

30 Nov 2015, 13:13

Really not worth it.

Latest update is not great but perfect.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

08 Dec 2015, 01:09

Update X3 0.12.16
Fixed a few bugs and updated a few features. I should really make new posts for new releases from now, since we are already on release-candidate. This is likely last release post in this thread.

Download
As usual, x3.latest.zip or x3.latest.nocontent.zip

Upgrade
Simply update as usual (as long as you are already on the 0.12.* branch), without overwriting /content and /config folders.

Update 0.12.16 Reference
- Fixed Google Analytics - Yes, it was broken.
- Fixed </textarea> tag issue in content editor when adding custom form.
- New htaccess-editor in panel->tools. Mainly for viewing (diagnostics), but can be used to edit also.
- Improved Chat (chatra.io) implementation.
- Fixed some checks in diagnostics when using DB.
- NEW "embed" field in gallery, for adding videos from 3rd party vimeo/youtube (only works with carousel currently).
- Added "Menu Classes" to page menu-settings. Allows you to add hover styles for carousel-menu (and other custom/unspecific).
- Updated to font-awesome 4.5.
- Fixed some undefined var PHP notices (which could show in error logs)
- Fixed issues with Cloudflare-API when added to panel.
- Improved various code.
- Removed some items from /check/.

Note
Removed some stuff from the /check/ folder. This folder will eventually be removed entirely, because it is not best practice to have this info available in a public URL. If your website is already working fine, I recommend you DELETE the /check/ folder entirely. It is still included in the release, because we need to diagnose certain issues on new installs, specifically rewritebase rule and permissions.

andreamarucci
Experienced

09 Dec 2015, 03:14

Thanks Karl!