Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 11337
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 07:37

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

10 Jun 2015, 17:45

sprocket wrote:The site started, but the menu shaded area now has the following warnings:
I logged in to your website earlier today and fixed it properly ... Thanks for the patience and allowing me to diagnose directly on your server. The issues (PHP 5.3 syntax related) have been included in the updated X3.
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 11337
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 07:37

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

10 Jun 2015, 18:01

gaitt wrote:But still not really cover my needs. I'm wondering if it's easy to integrate an IP filtering or something like that.
Basically, I'm protecting the GLOBAL site and I would like to protect it only if the a user IP is not in a white-list of IP (don't really know if this kind of protection method is secure :?: ).
IP filtering (etc) is not something we will be integrating directly with the X3 application, partly because it is not a task or feature the web-application should handle, but also because this is something you would do with a .htaccess file.

In fact, why would you need BOTH password-protection and IP protection? If you are using IP protection, this is server-based, and is very secure, but if only a single IP (you) can access it, then it having an X3 password is surplus.

You can protect your entire website by IP with the following in .htaccess:
Code
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 111.222.333.444
It is secure, but you would only use this for hardcore protection where you only want one user/owner to access the website. It is not topically related to Imagevue X3 password-protection.
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 11337
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 07:37

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

10 Jun 2015, 18:07

localhost wrote:If there's one thing I would like to ask.... Do you have plan to incorporate the login system on the page itself and not on a new window?
Yes. I think we would like to build a custom login dialog box when clicking a link directly from the menu (if the page is password-protected). However, it will still use the native login-prompt when trying to access a password-protected URL directly in the browser (before the application is loaded) ... obviously because we don't want to load the page (and scripts) in the first place, if the visitor does not have access.

When you say "new window" though, I assume you mean the native login dialog prompt? It is still just a kind of native "popup window", and no new windows are opened technically speaking (unless something is happened on your end that I am not aware of). Although the login window is not beautiful, it is still as functional as a custom login prompt.
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 11337
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 07:37

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

10 Jun 2015, 18:20

Updated latest X3 zip with fix for PHP 5.3 issues ...
 
localhost
Experienced
Posts: 156
Joined: 20 Sep 2011, 11:09

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

10 Jun 2015, 20:57

[quote="mjau-mjau"]
Yes. I think we would like to build a custom login dialog box when clicking a link directly from the menu (if the page is password-protected). However, it will still use the native login-prompt when trying to access a password-protected URL directly in the browser (before the application is loaded) ... obviously because we don't want to load the page (and scripts) in the first place, if the visitor does not have access.

When you say "new window" though, I assume you mean the native login dialog prompt? ./quote]
Yes Karl, I mean the Native login dialog prompt.

So if I say I click on the GALLERIES menu and presented me with multiple sub-galleries it will still use the native login dialog prompt? And only the link from the menu will have the custom login?

thanks...
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 11337
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 07:37

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

11 Jun 2015, 06:08

localhost wrote:So if I say I click on the GALLERIES menu and presented me with multiple sub-galleries it will still use the native login dialog prompt? And only the link from the menu will have the custom login?
No, I mean ANY link from within the X3 app would be a able to spawn a custom login prompt. The other benefit with a custom login prompt, is that it would not start loading the target page until the correct login is submitted.

Only when the first page accessed in browser (before X3 is loaded), will it use the native browser prompt if there is a password.
 
User avatar
GGANG
Experienced
Posts: 119
Joined: 02 Feb 2012, 16:01

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

11 Jun 2015, 08:15

Hello Karl,
V0.11 working fine for me.
but one thing I'm waiting is PHPMailer.
I've change
Code
public $CharSet = 'utf-8';
in a file name class.phpmailer.php
It doesn't work for me to receive the Thai language.
 
localhost
Experienced
Posts: 156
Joined: 20 Sep 2011, 11:09

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

11 Jun 2015, 10:04

mjau-mjau wrote: No, I mean ANY link from within the X3 app would be a able to spawn a custom login prompt.

Only when the first page accessed in browser (before X3 is loaded), will it use the native browser prompt if there is a password.
So the CUSTOM LOGIN PROMPT will look something like this? not entirely like this but I think you get my grip :P
2.PNG
2.PNG (112.48 KiB) Viewed 5276 times
 
User avatar
sprocket
Experienced
Posts: 98
Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 00:40

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

11 Jun 2015, 12:25

mjau-mjau wrote:I logged in to your website earlier today and fixed it properly ... Thanks for the patience and allowing me to diagnose directly on your server. The issues (PHP 5.3 syntax related) have been included in the updated X3.
Thanks for getting things all fixed up. Keep my login stuff handy during this developmental stage in case you need to fix/diagnose more things along the way. My website viewers know I'm in beta land right now and there may be some bumps along the way.
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 11337
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 07:37

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

11 Jun 2015, 12:37

GGANG wrote:but one thing I'm waiting is PHPMailer.
I've change
Code
public $CharSet = 'utf-8';
in a file name class.phpmailer.php
It doesn't work for me to receive the Thai language.
Not sure what that has to do with this update, related to password protected page.

Also, I am not sure what you mean. PHPMailer is already included in X3 ... You mean it works for you when you add the code $CharSet = 'utf-8'; or it does not?
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 11337
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 07:37

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

11 Jun 2015, 12:42

localhost wrote:So the CUSTOM LOGIN PROMPT will look something like this? not entirely like this but I think you get my grip :P
First of all, is that a popup window? I can only see a username+password field, so it doesn't really say much. The prompt would have to be a "modal" or "popup" window (depending on how you want to call it), that simply overlays the page and requests username and password.

Otherwise, yes it could look something like that ... It would not have that abstract background graphic for sure, and it would inherit the font you are using in your pages. Personally, I don't see a huge benefit of that specific design ... The native prompt is fast, usable, and all browsers (including mobile browsers) will have their own native version, making sure it works nicely across all platforms.
 
localhost
Experienced
Posts: 156
Joined: 20 Sep 2011, 11:09

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

12 Jun 2015, 07:44

No Karl, NOT a pop-up window... when you click on a link that is password protected it goes to that login page. I just can't screenshot my whole browser on what it really looks like because the forum doesn't allow me to upload bigger file.
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 11337
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 07:37

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

12 Jun 2015, 08:26

localhost wrote:No Karl, NOT a pop-up window... when you click on a link that is password protected it goes to that login page. I just can't screenshot my whole browser on what it really looks like because the forum doesn't allow me to upload bigger file.
Why would it navigate to an entirely new, separate website page just for login details? That is very old-fashioned and quite backwards. What would it say in the URL? What if someone clicks a link, and doesnt have the login, and they can't click cancel. How would such an implementation have any benefits whatsoever?
 
localhost
Experienced
Posts: 156
Joined: 20 Sep 2011, 11:09

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

13 Jun 2015, 06:23

Maybe we are not the same picture Karl... I have avoided to use the PIXIESET as an example but I think I have no other option to demonstrate.

Here's my pixieset account with client login page: http://larryanda.pixieset.com/

Each of the subgalleries/folder is password protected and will present you with a login page when clicked. I hope I get it right to advise what I have in mind.

What I mean is.... aside from the other part of your website like CONTACT US, ABOUT US, ETC. The GALLERY itself should have this kind of login page as opposed to the use of the Native Login prompt that v.0.11 is currently have.
 
User avatar
mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author
Posts: 11337
Joined: 30 Sep 2006, 07:37

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

14 Jun 2015, 07:40

localhost wrote:What I mean is.... aside from the other part of your website like CONTACT US, ABOUT US, ETC. The GALLERY itself should have this kind of login page as opposed to the use of the Native Login prompt that v.0.11 is currently have.
Although I agree the native login prompt is not attractive, and this can be improved, I am curious about why you are of the opinion that X3 should load a separate page just to show a login? It loads an additional page, does not provide any "cancel" functionality for those who clicked and find themselves unable to login, and basically provides absolutely no additional functionality whatsoever.

Although the page you are referring to does loads quite fast and looks quite pleasing, the borderline between "popup" and "new page" is kinda vague in this context. If we do change things in X3, it would be a beautiful "overlay" (often called popup) with a dark semi-opaque background (similar to the x3 image popup), with username/password prompt, and possibly some custom info+preview for the page that would be accessed. It would however not load an entirely separate page.

I guess the scenario where it could look like that would be if the visitor navigated directly to the page from the browser URL (instead of navigating from the menu). In fact, I am pretty sure that is a compromise pixiset have made in this consideration). So in this case, then yes we could consider something like that. When navigating from within the X3 app (menu or link) however, we don't want to force additional clicks and payloads on the user or the application.

Imagevue X3 is an ajax application, and pixieset is not ... They load pages from scratch from every click, including all JS/CSS and re-rendering the scripts/css. In X3, it is important to keep a continuity. Just for reference, that login page takes 2-3 seconds to load from a fast connection, and loads in at 750 kb.
http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/dLTGAz/ ... nddaniela/