Search…

flym4ster

Re: X3 Beta V0.11 [Password protected pages]

21 Sep 2015, 15:53

Hello,

I'm waiting X3 with big interest.
It seems very different from X2.
I whish to buy it soon.

Have you a approximative date for the release of a public version?

Thanks for your job.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

22 Sep 2015, 02:44

Hi. It will be a few more weeks until we have next big release out, which should be "release candidate". See my latest post from a few days ago regarding this.
https://forum.photo.gallery/viewtopic.p ... f=9#p37985

Although it will still be beta for a short while after next release, it will still be "release candidate", because it will be much easier to update X3 after next release.

Thank you for patience.

fsfs
Experienced

12 Jun 2016, 13:36

Hey Karl!

I have an issue.

I have * GLOBAL set for my page.
When I want to share a page for only an user let say: Adam the folder 2016/june/birthday-party

The * GLOBAL user (me) cannot access 2016/june/birthday-party without entering Adams pass.

I know you have written:
If you are specifically protecting child-pages of already-protected parent-pages, the child-page login will outrank the parent-page login.
- but it should be the other way around for * GLOBAL too.

The way around is to use Superuser?

But I don't want to use username, want/need only password, the superpass fails for me.

What can I do?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

12 Jun 2016, 14:11

I am not sure, but it seems like you are mixing up *GLOBAL and *superuser:
fsfs wrote:The * GLOBAL user (me) cannot access 2016/june/birthday-party without entering Adams pass.
*GLOBAL is NOT a user, but a shortcut to protect ALL pages, thus making it "global" protection. The global protect setting must still have its own password, or it's own users applied.
fsfs wrote:The way around is to use Superuser?
Because of the above, I cannot answer this. It seems like you have mistaked *global as *superuser. Superuser is a user that has access to ALL protected folders, and yes it is a practical way to create a user for yourself that can access ALL protected folders.
fsfs wrote:But I don't want to use username, want/need only password, the superpass fails for me.
Not sure what this has to do with anything. If you use a basic login with username/password or a USER with username/password, you still need to use BOTH username and password. Therefore, I don't see what you are asking about here.

I understand that some users want to simplify by only having a password (no username), but username + password is part of the http authentication method, so we can't change that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_acc ... entication

fsfs
Experienced

12 Jun 2016, 14:21

Sorry I saw my own text, was misunderstanding.

I have an user, Tony, which has the path * GLOBAL

Then I added another temp. user, Adam, with the only path: 2016/june/birthday-party

Tony cannot access 2016/june/birthday-party - without entering Adams password.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

12 Jun 2016, 16:25

If you have login to your panel, I can take a look ...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

12 Jun 2016, 17:49

I checked your panel, and there is nothing wrong here. It still seems you are mixing the concepts of GLOBAL and SUPERUSER, which I thought we cleared in my initial reply. What behavior are you expecting? A global link protection, protects ALL links ... User SUPERUSER from the user tab to create a user that can access all protected pages.
fsfs wrote:I have an user, Tony, which has the path * GLOBAL
You have a user kalas ... I don't see any user "Tony". Besides, what do you mean "user, Tony, which has path * Global"? A USER does not have a path.
fsfs wrote:Tony cannot access 2016/june/birthday-party - without entering Adams password.
Yes, did you expect something else? What's the point of adding a protected child folder 2016/juni/nk if everyone can access it with the global login which everyone will need to pass first anyway? Either create a superuser from the USERS tab, or create your own user and add it as a user to the access link.

Please see the extensive docs available from within your panel:

fsfs
Experienced

12 Jun 2016, 18:14

I just used the Tony and Adam as names to understand.

Basically I set * GLOBAL as path and only password for my family to see our albums.

Then I created a user+pass for a certain friend, let's call him: Tony, to only see a child path, don't want them to see the whole family album.

The problem that occurs is that my family (* GLOBAL-access) cannot see the certain child path even if they have * GLOBAL-access.
They would need to have Tonys password, which is strange.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

13 Jun 2016, 06:18

fsfs wrote:Basically I set * GLOBAL as path and only password for my family to see our albums.
I have been trying to emphasize this for the last 3 posts: Setting a global path instructs X3 to protect all pages. It is NOT a password that allows you to login to all other pages that are specifically protected. That is what the *SUPERUSER or a normal USER is for ...

Additionally, If you set a specific protection for a specific path, it will obviously overrule your global protection
fsfs wrote:The problem that occurs is that my family (* GLOBAL-access) cannot see the certain child path even if they have * GLOBAL-access.
They would need to have Tonys password, which is strange.
Again, I need to emphasize *GLOBAL protection is NOT *GLOBAL ACCESS, as you are referring above.

Use USERS or SUPERUSER: For example, go to USERS tab, create two users: FAMILY and TONY. Then in your global protection path, set user family. In the path for the birthday, set family and tony.

Or easier, create a superuser *family, which will have access to all protected pages without having to add them as user to a path.

All the above is noted in the extensive documentation for that page (click the ? help button from). It doesn't seem you have taken the time to read it ...