Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

fotofeeling

Re: POLL: What features for v0.10 RC (Release Candidate)?

19 Mar 2015, 12:52

Hi Karl,
I hope, some of the following features can be integrated:

1. Panel:
- Picture upload with drag and drop
- Drag and drop with thumbnails in the panel to sort the pictures.
- Complete Folders with pictures (album) can sort with drag and drop in other folders.
- Description and/or title only in the popup picture with IPTC import or manual in the panel.

2. Frontend:
- Different position (upper left, lower left, …) for description and/or title in the popup picture
- GPS link to Google Maps or in a small window like 500px
- Panorama solution

Thanks

Christian

drzylvon
Experienced

19 Mar 2015, 14:46

Hi,

Joining a little late and might be repeating but to me :

Panel
1- User managed private galleries
I'd like to have the following possibilities available :
- simple password protected galleries (as was in X2) as requested by others
- user based protected galleries, I think password isn't really practical : either you share the same password for several galleries to share with your friends or you have to deal different passwords to your friends if you want at least some granularity. I'd rather give access to a gallery to users, or better, user groups.
We don't have to have password management for the enduser. Admin takes care of setting it as he creates a user. Admin resets/deletes/creates at will. That's good enough.
I really hope you can at least go to the user level if not groups but i don't think it would be so hard to link users or groups to a gallery.

Extension : If you get as excited as I am with this, we could also go to picture level access rights (usecase : sharing a gallery with your friends & girlfriend, but deciding to hide a few and keep them only for your girlfriend ;-)). Selected pictures in a gallery would have different access groups.

An elegant way to present it would be à la Lightroom tags management. I don't know if you're a lightroom user but here's how it works.
You can look at a single photo and review/edit its tag individually. When you select a group of photos, you see all the tags applied to this group of photos. Lightroom give you the set of existing tags and marks the one that only apply to one or a subset of pictures with an asterisk. "An asterisk (*) means that a tag is applied to only some of the selected photos"

Back to users/groups mapping in a possible X3 implementation :
Example : say you have 3 pictures in a GalleryA, two users & a group exists.
By default, you give access to a user/group within a gallery, at the gallery settings level.
access for GalleryA : usera -> usera will have access to all pictures
But then if you start looking at individual rights of each pictures, just reviewing, you would see
access for pic1 : usera
access for pic2 : usera
access for pic3 : usera
If we then alter the rights of pic2 by adding userb, we then have :
access for pic1 : usera
access for pic2 : usera, userb
access for pic3 : usera

If we look at the summary of access rights for GalleryA, you will have the Lightroom star notation (*)
access for GalleryA : usera, userb*

2- I'm a little ashamed to ask as it will reveal my short time fiddling with it (and reading the forums) but is the final panel going to be a bit user friendly or is it going to consist mainly of a list of parameters to set by hand?
I'd concur with other requests such as drag & drop uploads, sort options (as in X2), drag and drop to set album cover, crop album cover, ... X2 panel was pretty strong.

Front End
1- music player, I liked the minimal player we had.

Appreciate the great work already, X3 really is a breakthrough IMO.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

19 Mar 2015, 23:55

fotofeeling wrote:1. Panel:
- Picture upload with drag and drop
- Drag and drop with thumbnails in the panel to sort the pictures.
- Complete Folders with pictures (album) can sort with drag and drop in other folders.
- Description and/or title only in the popup picture with IPTC import or manual in the panel.
Picture upload with drag and drop should be available in next release. Maybe popup IPTC also. The other features are definitely on the radar, but will not make it for next release.
fotofeeling wrote:2. Frontend:
- Different position (upper left, lower left, …) for description and/or title in the popup picture
- GPS link to Google Maps or in a small window like 500px
- Panorama solution
Titles/description in popup, possibly next release. The other features will be implemented, but unlikely for RC.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

20 Mar 2015, 00:28

drzylvon wrote:1- User managed private galleries
Thanks for the extensive request. We will consider the best way to add as-flexible-as-possible password-protection to X3 pages/galleries, without over-complicating the application. I can say immediately that X3 will not include protection on a per-image basis ... Imagevue X3 is non-database, and a feature like this would require a DB and entirely shifts the nature of X3. I am also slightly concerned with "user groups", because it requires an abstract layer of data stored somewhere, hard-linked to folders. It does not mean it cannot be done, but simplicity and clarity are top priority for us. We will inspect this option prior to next release, and maybe we can offer partial functionality.
drzylvon wrote:2- I'm a little ashamed to ask as it will reveal my short time fiddling with it (and reading the forums) but is the final panel going to be a bit user friendly or is it going to consist mainly of a list of parameters to set by hand?
This is high-priority, but also has to be considered long-term. Not only does it require working with quite an advanced admin panel (whereas now we need to work mainly with the core+frontend), but until settings are more "settled", it would be counter-productive to add bells and whistles everywhere.

There is another issue that some users fail to comprehend, as they want a panel that is "easy to use", yet also want 100s of options for every module. Take for example the page gallery setting ... To add a slideshow right now, you can use:
Code
gallery: slideshow
or more advanced:
Code
gallery: slideshow:option1,option2
Now, lets imagine we added all these settings directly as dropdowns and checkboxes for each page. It would look something like this for only the slideshow settings:
Code
slideshow -
  width []
  height []
  ratio []
  nav []
  fit []
  transition []
  duration []
  captions []
  loop []
  autoplay[]
  interval []
  startFullscrees []
  toggleplay []
  showControls []
Now multiply the amount of options above with similar amount of options for gallery layouts carousel, grid, columns, justified. Then multiply that for all modules layout, content, folders, gallery. You will end up with a list of bells and whistles for every page that contains several hundred settings ... We don't want that. So the answer is, yes we definitely want to make it much more intuitive, but there is no clear path to achieve that goal. We have some ideas, but alongside much-improved documentation, this is a long-term commitment.
drzylvon wrote:I'd concur with other requests such as drag & drop uploads, sort options (as in X2), drag and drop to set album cover, crop album cover, ... X2 panel was pretty strong. .
100%. We intend to deliver panel 2.0 later this year, but I don't think you can expect the features above for RC.
drzylvon wrote:Front End
1- music player, I liked the minimal player we had. .
Yes. Not sure it will make it into RC though. The challenge with the audio player, is how to integrate the player interface across all layout variations without affecting any other variable interface items, and have it work in various screen sizes.

drzylvon
Experienced

20 Mar 2015, 06:35

drzylvon wrote:1- User managed private galleries
Thanks for the extensive request. We will consider the best way to add as-flexible-as-possible password-protection to X3 pages/galleries, without over-complicating the application. I can say immediately that X3 will not include protection on a per-image basis ... Imagevue X3 is non-database, and a feature like this would require a DB and entirely shifts the nature of X3. I am also slightly concerned with "user groups", because it requires an abstract layer of data stored somewhere, hard-linked to folders. It does not mean it cannot be done, but simplicity and clarity are top priority for us. We will inspect this option prior to next release, and maybe we can offer partial functionality.
I really can live with just a simple user management.
drzylvon wrote:2- I'm a little ashamed to ask as it will reveal my short time fiddling with it (and reading the forums) but is the final panel going to be a bit user friendly or is it going to consist mainly of a list of parameters to set by hand?
This is high-priority, but also has to be considered long-term. Not only does it require working with quite an advanced admin panel (whereas now we need to work mainly with the core+frontend), but until settings are more "settled", it would be counter-productive to add bells and whistles everywhere.
[/quote]

I agree with you, it's not SO hard to set up a gallery running with a bit of method and planning and I understand the radical changes but on a "paying" user point of view (well it's free for now, I know), it could be seen as a service regression. But let's go on like this

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

20 Mar 2015, 11:02

drzylvon wrote:Admin Panel
We have ambitious plans for the future panel, and intend to progress with X3 for a long time to come. You gotta keep in mind, in X3 you already have so much more functionality and flexibility than in X2 ... for example all the gallery layouts methods, grid/justified/columns/slideshow, each with their own settings, as well as controlling the order of all modules and items. For now, we have made all these settings available from the panel, although not intuitively enough. We intend to massively improve this, but my only points were: 1) We don't want to add an over-complicated cockpit-like settings structure for each and every page, that lists tons of settings that mostly won't be used. Instead, we wish to add some kinda intuitive context-based selector, and 2) Its difficult to speed up development of this relatively unique application called X3, so it has to be a priority for us to work from the inside and out. Although there is room for a lot of improvement, I believe X3 has already matured to a stage where it offers something unique and desirable.

We will get there!

drzylvon
Experienced

20 Mar 2015, 13:15

Although there is room for a lot of improvement, I believe X3 has already matured to a stage where it offers something unique and desirable.
Oh indeed ! :-)

GGANG
Experienced

21 Mar 2015, 08:33

I've installed X3 by database user and then I've add my client in the panel as the full permission user.
But I want to limited a disc space of usage for his or her.
I would like to show the status bar of used size for my client.

Please consider for that.
Thank you. :D

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

21 Mar 2015, 10:50

GGANG wrote:But I want to limited a disc space of usage for his or her.
I would like to show the status bar of used size for my client.
Ok, this should be possible ... but we will not be able to add this feature until later.

GGANG
Experienced

21 Mar 2015, 13:19

Ok, this should be possible ... but we will not be able to add this feature until later.
Thank you, Karl
and How effect after they've reached the limit of disc space usage?
They can't upload more photos or something else.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

22 Mar 2015, 00:18

GGANG wrote:How effect after they've reached the limit of disc space usage?
They can't upload more photos or something else.
Yes, they can't upload more afterwards.

localhost
Experienced

22 Mar 2015, 06:58

I just want to see a password-protected gallery in the front end.

Something that I will create a main page for CLIENT ACCESS and then a list of all the client gallery in GRID format and under each gallery will have the ENTER PASSWORD TO VIEW or something to that effect.

Eightkiller
Experienced

22 Mar 2015, 14:28

1/ As mentionned earlier i too would like to be able to show , multiple EXIF info. just like we could in X2 (aperture, date, camera, lenses, etc.)
2/ I would like to have the possibility to use the "Audio Player", it is still missing from X3 :)

Best regards :p

rokudamerlin
Experienced

23 Mar 2015, 12:31

hi,
my wish is for now or later..

+ pls add a single description field for a single image ;)
+ a option for display a little video in megamenü (when activate is flip image hide)
+ option for flip image in mega menue (on/off)
+ (when you remove a Category) a window what ask "do like really remove this ?<br>when you remove this category all pictures give remove" .. (yes/no) button
+ a languages file for edit the language
+ a search field for search title,date or other (on/off)
+ a option for newest pictures / most view (on/off)

:)
VektorStyle.de
Graphic - Web - Printdesign | X3

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

23 Mar 2015, 21:55

This is just a brain dump. I haven't had a chance to try 0.9, 0.91 or RC 0.10.
I do touch on existing functionality, but to add further components and the ability to configure them further. Well... at least I hope I can remember everything whizzing around my head! :D
Thank you!

Comments
Commenting is clearly popular with others. I hope we won't have to use a 3rd party hack for it this time! :D
One flaw I see in systems is after submitting form preventing a "double" submit.
Then guest comments. Default all Guest Comments to be moderated despite global member comment moderation setting. (e..g Captcha for Guests and Max X posts per day -or- No Captcha but all posts moderated -or- Captcha and all posts moderated -or- No Captcha and Max X Posts per day...)

Thumbnails
- Configure thumbnails - Shape, Size, Watermark, Quality, etc.
Have the ability to apply settings to a Gallery and their Sub-Galleries (or Album and Child\Sub-Albums), or just child elements in current album and not child-albums (sub-albums - I have no idea what I want to call them! :P). Obviously this flushes all cached thumbs and signals to the system, the next time they are requested to process thumbnails with new configuration - e.g. within that gallery only - apply new shape, smaller size, new watermark, etc upon request BUT not removing all other cached thumbnails that are still relevant in other galleries...

Search!
- Ability to search current gallery.
- Ability to search current gallery and sub-galleries.
- Ability to search all galleries.
- Ability to search all galleries and all other content.
- Sort ascending \ descending.
- Change results/page from 10 to 50.
- Perhaps ignore words which are in list of reserved words (to, from, it, was, where, in, a, is, are, us, we, they, ....)
- Captcha for more than X searches per X mins as guest. (e.g. 5 searches in 30 seconds)
- Location field drop-down. Arranged by Country or grouped into what is already set-up.
- Support Location - Sub-Location. e.g. Canada, Ontario, instead of just Ontario. Or Canada, Ontario, Toronto.
- Support event - e.g. Birthday, Anniversary, Wedding, etc. This allows you to filter results, OR filter galleries (not even using the search).
- Keyword filters - e.g. a Tag cloud of the top 20 tags. Or click to have it expand to top 50.
- Location filters - similar to Tag cloud, but perhaps have drop-down.
- Search feature - Search for both AND or OR phrases via drop-down. Default to OR.
- Save my Search - Ability to save people's searches, should they wish to run the same search again. Obviously not cached results from last time, but when executed again, display new results.
- Share searches, Popular searches, and perhaps the ability to turn a search into an Album or Slideshow! :)

Upload
- Upload photos by ZIP \ TAR.GZ archive.
- Copy content in one gallery across to other galleries. Either physically duplicate them, or create a link and inherit existing content settings for that photo\video. e.g. one photo from one to another. (Link them, and option to also link comments, likes, etc, or strip and give new description, title, keywords, etc etc.

Import \ Export of photographs and media options:
- Strip META data (All).
- Strip selective meta (time\date\location\... basic info) data.
- Rename file names to new series or to pattern. Either using current numeric file names or generating new sequence.
- Import video from 3rd party (Grab Title, Description and META information). e.g. YouTube, Daily Motion, and other popular video sites.
- Export video - Snippet code for people to share and embed video.
- Export photo - Snippet code for people to share and embed photo.
- Export gallery -Snippet code for people to share and embed gallery content.
- Create galleries with Videos and mixed content (Video's uploaded to installation, or imported and linked from online resources).
- Ability to either Import and "rip" content so is cached to local server for streaming (similar to download and upload).

Sharing Content
- Share as a link (not direct share to 3rd party service) to then copy and paste link to friends e.g. emails, messenger, publications, etc.
- Share a link and create a shortened URL? e.g. something not quite as long as http://my.photo.gallery.com/albums/1.Ho ... 567890.png >> http://my.photo.gallery.com/?short=ABCDEFG12345678
- Sharing galleries that are HIDDEN and not visible to the public. Direct link access only.
- Sharing galleries that are HIDDEN and not visible to public, by inviting certain registered members and not accessible to guests via direct link.
- Galleries previously shared and then made HIDDEN are still accessible.
- Galleries previously shared and then made DISABLED are no longer accessible.
- Ability to disable all SNS (social network services) per-gallery setting. e.g. To hide all SNS and 2nd option to hide Share code, Share links and Shorten URLs...
- Perhaps motivate people to share, by given them "Pip's" against their name for the number of times they've commented and shared content? Encourage people to distribute your content! Or in multi-user environment, encourage people to share other peoples content or their own content.
- Ability to content author (not admin) of content and request x y z. E.g. Photo shoot, landscape shots, or further examples of their work. Or even access to a hidden gallery or password protected gallery.

Friends, Relatives, Colleagues
- Create groups and assign an array of permissions, from Read\Write\Modify\Delete of Photos and Galleries to Comments and so on.
- As above, Enable collaborative functionality to allow multiple people to have restricted \ unrestricted access to galleries and content. E.g. Block download from within manager, but allow moving of content, copying (linking) of content, etc, etc, etc. But prevent download.
- Not much else to say as it is quite obvious, but perhaps the ability to select from the 20 - 50 permissions and create a group. Then assign people to that group.
- Enable\Disable accounts. Elevate accounts from visitor\guest to moderation, elevate to contributors and other custom groups or base group templates, already created.

:)

I hope you find this useful!
Thanks mate. Keep up the hard work with the RC's! The finish line is in sight! :D
Last edited by Bulletproof IT on 24 Mar 2015, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
» I Imagevue X3 «