Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

Re: POLL: What features for v0.10 RC (Release Candidate)?

24 Mar 2015, 05:15

IMPORT v2:
- Also allow import of CSV from /import/ folder. All images uploaded into folder with CSV file. Then CSV file is scanned and processed.
Images imported, Titles assigned, Descriptions added, Location data inserted. etc.... Album added, Sub-Album added, etc.

Does that make sense? So rather than uploading just via a normal Ajax \ Flash uploader, instead it imports and processes the files uploaded into a folder on the server. Once importing (moving) is complete, it then sets up the data for each resource; where titles and descriptions and other information is added against the resource. Whether it be video files uploaded and imported or photographs. The aim is that these files do not need to be manually named, and given a description!

This would make life so much easier when it comes to managing the gallery with a large number of photographs \ videos \ files and galleries \ sub-galleries \ sub-sub-galleries and so on.

Please let me know your (positive) thoughts.

Example
Code
First row (Row 0) is column headers:
ID ; STATUS ; PRI.ALBUM; SEC.ALBUMS ; TITLE ; DESCRIPTION ; SHARING_BTN ; SOCIAL_BTN; DOWNLOAD_BTN ; KEYWORDS ; TAGS ; FILENAME

Second row (Row 1) is first item.
1001 ; Enabled ; \\Holidays\\2014\\Canada ; \\Family & Friends\\2014 | \\Weddings\\John & Mary Smith ; John and Mary at the alter! ; I cannot believe John forgot his vows! ; Disabled ; Disabled ; Enabled ; John Smith, Mary Smith, Wedding, 2014, Canada ; Weddings, Canada ; DSC482938.jpg

Formula for A3 (Row 2) would be [b]=IF(B2<>"", A2+1, "")[/b] which means if above line for status is empty, then do not increment unique ID.
So primary gallery is where it lives. Secondary galleries are where the media is also linked too, separated by a |.

So that is simply an example (limited fields) of what could be done. Excel is magic. I am more than willing to help create a template to show you how easily something like this can be done and how much quicker it is at adding new content and updating existing content! :)
:)

Now save as XLSX file. Then save as CSV file. (you don't want to lose all your formula when saving it as a CSV without saving your changes to the primary "DB" first! Done!

CSV contents would look like this:
Code
ID,STATUS,PRI.ALBUM,SEC.ALBUMS,TITLE,DESCRIPTION,SHARING_BTN,SOCIAL_BTN,DOWNLOAD_BTN,KEYWORDS,TAGS,FILENAME
1001,ENABLED,\\Holidays\\2014\\Canada,\\Family & Friends\\2014 | \\Weddings\\John & Mary Smith,John and Mary at the alter!,I cannot believe John forgot his vows!,DISABLED,DISABLED,ENABLED,"John Smith, Mary Smith, Wedding, 2014, Canada","Weddings, Canada",DSC482938.jpg
,,,,,,,,,,, << these lines are ignored if you have blank lines in Excel (just from containing formula in Excel) but when saved as CSV they are removed and ignored.
» I Imagevue X3 «

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

24 Mar 2015, 12:24

Thanks for all your suggestions, which are being considered for RC (release candidate).
Bulletproof IT wrote:IMPORT v2:
Thanks for the suggestion, although it seems a bit out of scope currently. Keep in mind, this posts main question is to figure out what is most required for RC (release candidate). I have never heard of anyone populating their data into CSV files, and before we could build it, we would need a system in place where it was clear where this data should be populated into. Why not simply have a nice ajax interface for adding this data? Anything
Bulletproof IT wrote:Comments
Commenting is clearly popular with others. I hope we won't have to use a 3rd party hack for it this time!
We kinda have Disqus integration already, and this is a perfect combo in my opinion. In the X3 app, which does not use DB, we would not even consider trying to build a native commenting system that even Wordpress with 100s of developers and 10 years of experience are not doing so well with currently ... WP websites are turning to Disqus also, simply because its more effective.

Thanks again for all suggestions in this thread!

GGANG
Experienced

25 Mar 2015, 06:29

Hello Karl,
Please don't forget.
1) Allow to customize the contact form.
2) Support for sending Thai language.
I am apologize for remind you again. Thank you very much. :D

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

25 Mar 2015, 07:42

Contact Forms.
@GGANG - Would you like me to help you create a contact form and all the code etc? It's very simple :)

I would be happy to use a third party extension, and just paste the html code into the contact page to change it.
This enables Karl to continue working on more important things.

If others want a contact for, use a Contact Form Generator - heaps are free and online, others are scripts you upload online and it outputs the code for you. :)

Save my Search - Ability to save people's searches, should they wish to run the same search again. Obviously not cached results from last time, but when executed again, display new results.
- Share searches, Popular searches and perhaps the ability to turn a search into an Album or Slideshow!
@Karl, I think for visitors, registered members and contributors who are engaging in the site, if they have the ability to save their searches and have some sort of side panel displayed on the search page (i.e. advanced search) or within their profile area, it would save you not having to have bookmarks, and you could even subscribe to that "Gallery" which is really a Filtered Results Gallery. The benefit being you could receive notifications of any new additions would be queued and every week or end of each day, have a summary of the results emailed to the member. Subscribing to a saved filter as well as saving a search as a custom filter would be very helpful features. :) RC!

Hey Karl, why don't you compile a list of things currently on your RC list? Then we know what's on there and no need to repeat them or offer variants. Although, mind you, people may not bother to read and repeat requests anyway :P

p.s. Latest version inside my Read Me is "X3 Beta v0.9". Not 0.9.1 Beta. Weird!?
» I Imagevue X3 «

GGANG
Experienced

25 Mar 2015, 12:20

@Bulletproof IT
If others want a contact for, use a Contact Form Generator - heaps are free and online, others are scripts you upload online and it outputs the code for you.
Great idea, I've forgot it. Thank you. :D

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

25 Mar 2015, 12:49

Bulletproof IT wrote:If others want a contact for, use a Contact Form Generator - heaps are free and online, others are scripts you upload online and it outputs the code for you. :)
This is all fine, but yo have to use an unattractive iframe to embed these online forms hosted on 3rd party service, and it won't inherit the style of the X3 skin . Without embedding remotely with iframe, you can't add a custom form into an X3 website without also uploading custom PHP code ... Thus, we do aim to offer proper form-creation functionality native to X3.
Bulletproof IT wrote:Save my Search - Ability to save people's searches, should they wish to run the same search again. Obviously not cached results from last time, but when executed again, display new results.
All good, but as "search" is not currently a functional feature of X3 for many reasons, expanding it is not a priority.
Bulletproof IT wrote:Hey Karl, why don't you compile a list of things currently on your RC list? Then we know what's on there and no need to repeat them or offer variants. Although, mind you, people may not bother to read and repeat requests anyway :P
I already have my own list, but I wanted to get suggestions for "Release Candidate" from a fresh canvas, just to see what users are most in need of, even though most suggestions are already on my list. I still need to filter my list.
Bulletproof IT wrote:p.s. Latest version inside my Read Me is "X3 Beta v0.9". Not 0.9.1 Beta. Weird!?
This is because we use versioning for the CDN-based javascript resource for example /js/0.9/x3.min.js, which should not get refreshed for a tiny maintenance fix that just amends the htaccess file. I wouldn't worry too much about the last number behind 0.9 (if there is any), especially in beta stage.

GGANG
Experienced

26 Mar 2015, 21:09

About facebook share button integration.
The disqus share button is not share a current page.

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

26 Mar 2015, 23:36

This is not a dedicated "Facebook" share button, it is a "Share with Third Party's" button.
So it allows you to share with dozens and dozens of services.
It should share the current pages content and choose a thumbnail automatically, or ask you select one.

So the share button is a bridge to share content with a massive number of third party services :D

Does that make sense?

GGANG wrote:About facebook share button integration.
ĢThe disqus share button is not share a current page.
Last edited by Bulletproof IT on 26 Mar 2015, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
» I Imagevue X3 «

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

26 Mar 2015, 23:48

mjau-mjau wrote:...
Thank you.

Forms are just html. Insert into a large text area, or modify the file directly. Paste in the html. Upload any extra files (js, css, etc ) into /xxx

If you genuinely think an iframe is required,I can throw something together and show you?

Fields like: name, email, phone, drop-down, checkboxes, radio, value changer, text area, upload and attach, captcha, send button.

No problem Karl. I'm here to help.
» I Imagevue X3 «

GGANG
Experienced

27 Mar 2015, 00:28

This is not a dedicated "Facebook" share button, it is a "Share with Third Party's" button.
So it allows you to share with dozens and dozens of services.
It should share the current pages content and choose a thumbnail automatically, or ask you select one.

So the share button is a bridge to share content with a massive number of third party services :D

Does that make sense?
Before you will reply, Let you guy try it. @Bulletproof IT
I know that is not facebook share button. It is share for disque link.
I have recommend for the Facebook share button integration.
Does that make sense? :shock: @Bulletproof IT

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

27 Mar 2015, 01:22

@Bulletproof IT
It is not possible to "send" a form without using PHP, so either these forms require iframe and are hosted elsewhere, or they are just "form templates" that don't work until someone builds the PHP for them. In both cases, a bit useless if you ask me.

@GGANG
The disqus sharing-implementation is not something we actively promote, although I do see that it is working ... X3 will soon have native social sharing for sure.

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

31 Mar 2015, 11:17

:?: :shock: Why would you need PHP to send a form??? :shock: :?:

<form>, <input />, <textarea></> and all other tags are HTML \ xHTML.
You can combine it with JS for validation and XSS\CSRF verification or form injections against spam submissions and attempted hacking etc etc.
You do not need to touch PHP with a ten foot pole it's not funny!

So again I extend my offer. If you want me to compile an example form with fields, then it would show how easy it is to implement. Everyone needs at least one contact form, and should have the freedom of creating additional contact forms (among other content types) for each primary gallery for an installation.
Whatever I can do to throw something together to save you time, let me know. I am more than happy to help Karl.

You don't need anything more than this - it handles all my form JS, CSS plus file attachements, blocking certain file types, etc.
Code
<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.10.4/jquery-ui.min.js"></script>
<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.10.4/i18n/jquery-ui-i18n.min.js"></script>
<link href="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.10.4/themes/smoothness/jquery-ui.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

<script src="cfg-form-4/js/contactform.js"></script>
<link href="cfg-form-4/css/contactform.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

<script src="cfg-form-4/js/swfupload/swfupload.js"></script>
<script src="cfg-form-4/js/swfupload/swfupload.queue.js"></script>
<script src="cfg-form-4/js/swfupload/fileprogress.js"></script>
<script src="cfg-form-4/js/swfupload/handlers.js"></script>
<script src="cfg-form-4/js/upload.js"></script>
<link href="cfg-form-4/js/swfupload/default.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
» I Imagevue X3 «

Artur
Imagevue PowerPack

31 Mar 2015, 15:08

Not really sure how would you send an e-mail (or file) not using server side script?
All of the above is a client side part (js/css) that runs in a client browser and cannot send mails itself.

BTW.
You don't need for jQuery library since X3 already includes one. You just have to make sure that your scripts runs when X3 jQuery is available - load them using AJAX with proper dataType option (or .getScript() as a shorthand), within x3_load() method, becase normally all custom scripts (added in javascript section) are loaded before jQuery (shouldn't be that so though, but I guess it's decided due to improve X3 performance)
Also, all these files for just a contact form (even including file upload) looks to me like a huge overkill :) All you need is a single js file with FormData interface, and just a few bits in X3 CSS to keep the layout matching.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

31 Mar 2015, 23:57

@Bulletproof IT: You cannot send a form without using PHP or another server side script. I am not even going to debate that any further. Of course you can use all kinds of html, html5 and javascript features to compliment the form and security, but no client side JS/HTML is going to send the message for you.

localhost
Experienced

07 Apr 2015, 12:40

Regardless of how it works, I would like to see a customise contact form to be add in the RC. It should be more than the existing Name, EMail and Message...

Thanks