X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

Re: Imagevue X3 [playground]

25 Sep 2014, 05:41

AJAX/CACHE BUG / POTENTIAL PROBLEM
Hello again,
Having jumped from album to album within the same tab over a 12 - 24 hour period, I found task manager had 1 Chrome.exe task which had increased to 1,060 MB! I opened the Chrome Task Manager and found that the mjau-mjau.com site was the culprit! :P

It seems like when going through slide show mode, the memory utilised is not released. Perhaps a bug... I'm not sure. But I think the lack of page refreshes is causing the browser to store a lot of the Ajax data and Cached media. :( Hmm The tab was at 103 MB, but I've just gone through and previewed half of the photos and it is now sitting at 185 MB.

Changing from Portraits to Scenery and it is now sitting at 192 MB. Scrolling to the bottom of the Scenery page it is now sitting at 232 MB. Previewing all the photos, the memory is now at 360 MB. Hmmm...

This could potentially cause issues with visitors who browse multiple albums and lots of preview images :(
Stuff Gallery is a small one. Now at 376 MB.

If you want to try it yourself, open Chrome. Click at the very TOP LEFT of the browser window and from the drop-down menu, choose Task Manager. Keyboard short-cut is: Shift + ESC
I would be interested to see how you go.

497 MB at /albums/style/ - 703 MB after previewing all images in the gallery. Q: Why are there 4 tiny thumbnails at the bottom of that gallery???

Screenshots.... almost 1.2GB for 1 tab!!

FRESH TAB - OPENED ON GALLERY

AFTER 20 MINS +HAVING VIEWED MULTIPLE GALLERIES
» I Imagevue X3 «

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

26 Sep 2014, 01:19

Before anything else, I wish to respond to the "release date" question which many have on their mind ...
A lot of you wrote:Release date. Delays. Please tell us something. (etc)
OK, obviously this has never been our strong side ... Each time these questions have come up earlier, I have tried to make a prediction, which ends up backfiring. Also, I am proceeding at max capacity, and sometimes I look up to the stars and wonder how we can launch a product, in time, that simply is not ready. My preferred response would be "its ready, when its ready", but that would be very unprofessional, from several aspects.

So basically, you are right. The above should not be your concern, and it is only fair that you are notified of realistic launch dates. After last weeks update, we happen to also be at a pivotal point where I believe we have the minimum fundament in place to be able to publish X3. There is still loads-and-loads that we want to add, and the admin is still only rudimentary, but this can be managed through updates.

I am going to be bold and set the following public launch date for Imagevue X3 Beta:
FRIDAY OCTOBER 31 (less than 5 weeks)

Please note the "beta", and because I still feel it will still be slightly premature, there will be several cautions and conditions for those who wish to proceed at that point. I will list all these conditions in a new X3 section on the website shortly, but they will include the following main factors:
  • Hands-on support (admin/settings)
    At this point, the admin is fully capable of file- and folder management, but applying settings is less than intuitive (I will explain more about settings later). Therefore, I will offer hands-on support for new X3 users from launch date, simply because I don't believe it is plausible to figure out page layouts-, gallery layouts and navigation/footer without my direct intervention.

I will be adding a real-time chat to the website shortly, for optimal communication performance. I am happy to bear with this for a while, because it will benefit the evolution of X3 as well.
  • Documentation
    At initial launch, documentation will be rudimentary. This will initially be covered in the above.
  • Features
    We already have a huge list of features we wish to add to Imagevue X3, and no doubt there will be features you are missing in the initial release. You will have to let us know about feature requests, and simply strap yourself with patience. The feature requested will either be in our list already, or added on your request (unless we for some reason deem it unproductive or undesirable).
  • Updates
    You will likely wish to apply relatively frequent updates as X3 works itself through infancy. At some point, we wish to add automatic 1-click updates from the admin (through FTP), but don't expect this immediately.
  • Changes
    Since Imagevue X3 is ultimately a complex design, there will be many changes (both minor and major) to layout- and design. After updating, you may experience that design or layout changes, and you will have to live with it. Hopefully most changes are beneficial, although I am sure there will be many subjective opinions.

Additionally, there will be changes to settings at early stages. You may need to re-apply a specific setting after update, but we will try to keep everyone in the loop.
  • Bugs
    Expect bugs. We will however differentiate between critical bugs and non-critical bugs. Critical bugs which in fact break the page or functionality, should not exist and will be given full attention. Non-critical bugs may include non-critical interface elements, minor issues across devices- and browsers, design inaccuracies ... These issues may be stacked further down on the priority list.
I need to fix the sidebar layout and skins/fonts this weekend, then will proceed with a few user prototype galleries starting from next week ...

Bulletproof IT
Experienced

26 Sep 2014, 01:31

mjau-mjau wrote:Attention! Massive Update!
IMAGEVUE X5 POSITIVE & CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK

#1. Will there be commenting and the ability to preview image comments?

#2. When on the preview page, will you also have "Social" share buttons?

#3. When you hover on an thumbnail, will it display the number of comments too?

#4. When clicking on the Next / Previous buttons in preview mode OR full screen mode, I find if you "slightly" move your mouse off the [>] button, you lose the preview or full screen preview.
Could you please make it like X2 where if you click the 60% RHS of the screen, it advances, and if you click on the 40% LHS of the screen, it goes back??
It just seems a little fiddly, having to try and find which image you were up to, and resume the slide show, etc. :D

#5. Will X5 have the ability to auto create Thumbnails, Preview image and Full Size (not original, but resized Full image)? (e.g. Per gallery image resize in X2)

#6. Your website was displaying an Internal Server Error 505 at URL, approx 30 mins after my previous post, when visiting: http://mjau-mjau.com/updates/#19sep14
Internal Server Error
Blah blah blah....
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.2.22 Server at mjau-mjau.com Port 80

#6b. Whoa. Just got an error when submitting this post.
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
Can't connect to MySQL server on 'internal-db.s58451.gridserver.com' (113) [2003]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

#7a. When dragging my mouse back, in Slideshow/Big Awesome/, it was nice and smooth. I then clicked the Full Screen view, and it went backwards again. I clicked again on Full Screen and it went backwards. I then clicked on the right hand side of the image and it went backwards... There seems to be some random event occurring after dragging the slideshow, that it continues to get stuck and go in the wrong direction, even when single clicking on the RHS of the image, OR the Full Screen button. Weird!!!
It seemed to occur if I double clicked instead of single clicked and doing so quickly, whilst on the << arrow, and dragging. The >> arrow seems fine. I cannot get the error to occur with the RHS >>.

The same thing also occurs Slideshow/Thumbnails/ when going foward, then moving backwards, and dragging it in reverse and double clicking. Click click click and then click it finally starts going forward.
FYI

#7b. On /slideshow/scale-fit/ it shows you can go backwards by clicking on the LHS of an image. Great! :D
Well done. I was getting worried that you could only go in reverse by Left << or Left Arrow on keyboard and by dragging it...

#7c. On /slideshow/inline/, I click click click and it looks really smooth. I dragged it in reverse and so on. This is truly great coding! Very fluid.
However when I click click click click really quickly, it advances, advances, advances, goes backwards, goes backwards, advances, advances....

When I say goes backwards, I mean the frame starts sliding backwards from where it came, instead of going in the Right to Left direct of slides.
So I think this is the same issue as above, it gets into a locked pattern where it thinks it is going forward, you give it too many clicks and it goes backwards, OR, you go backwards a few times, and then Click Forwards, but it keeps going backwards. Very strange.
Drag forward, drag forward, drag forward, click click click, oops, went backwards during one of the clicks and then corrects itself...

I hope this info helps and I've been detailed enough.

#8. Exactly how does one exit out of the Full Screen slider? I cannot see any X to take the user back to some sort of standard page where they can see the menu. I guess Browser Back is the only option?

#9. Browser history and being able to go back images with back button of browser and forward too? I know in ImageVue X2, you could have it so that advancing through the photos and media would update the browser and have it recognise there was a different image. I think they refer to it as Flash Deep Linking. Is this possible with the new X5? :)
I just found going through a dozen images, then pressing back on the browser took me back to the previous page.

NOTE: History works in Slideshow mode, but doesn't work when going from album to album etc.

#10. /carousel/styled/ Another image not found, and for the first time, a thumbnnail could not be found.

#11. /carousel/autoheight/ Can this carousel be made so when it gets to the end, it doesn't then slide all the way back to he start? Instead it just continues and loops from the end to the start again? Or perhaps add a tall | or gap to distinguish the end / start?
Can you have the carousel's set to auto slide? e.g. easing slowly? 1KM per hour? or xxx measurement of speed?
I spoke to soon, the next Carousel after Auto Height does this in a similar way, but it automatically moves all of the current images off the screen, and then pulls in the next, rather than a "one image at a time" method...

#12. Video Carousel! WOW! That is fantastic! A brilliant idea!!! :D
I guess Video Auto Scroll would be a difficult one. Auto slide but when video playing, stop sliding.

#13. Ok this might be a complicated question... But when you have an item on the coursel or slideshow, is thre a way to "activate" an element, so that you can be taken to that specific page? e.g. if you want to give someone a URL to a video on a carousel, rather than the whole carousel, you could do it in X2 due to Flash's deep linking. But there doesn't seem to be any way for a visitor to get a link to a specific part of the gallery (slide 10 of 30) or to a specific object only, and display that object only.

Perhaps some sort of 'read more' button or link on elements, where you can open that image in a new window within your gallery (not just an image within the browser window)... I guess this is a little confusing, but having people copy the link of X out of 100 is useful, as then the visitor can find slide number 75 out of 100, without going through ALL other images... So is this possible? :D

#14. Within album /albums/black-and-white/, you don't actually mention the setting to have all images set to B+W or Sepia. p.s. More slideshow images are missing here too.
Are there filter overlays that can do this where they don't modify the image and /or simply manipulate the output? Sepia, Toy Cam, Vintage, B&W, etc, just applied to a gallery rather than permanent changes to the images.

#15. /albums/camera/ has a missing thumbnail, but the preview image (slideshow) is however visible... FYI.

#16. /albums/perspective/ many of the preview images are missing here. FYI.

#17. /albums/style/ has lots of missing images too. FYI.

FUTURE SUGGESTION: :D
#18. An idea for you. To allow owners to preview what things look like on the front end, you could have a similar X2 Admin Menu that appears on the front-end when logged in as admin in the backend. Then when on an album, you can change each and every option until you get it the way you like. Then go to the Admin area, and copy the settings you selected in the front-end's Admin Menu.
e.g. Transition, Easing, Delay, Theme, Style, Thumbnail size, Preview size, Layout type, Layout style, xxxx, yyy, zzz. All as drop-down boxes in each field (some options disappearing when not available when a certain theme or layout is chosen - obviously).
Or even have the front-end admin menu bar generate some code so that it can be pasted into the backend, and it automatically imports the settings into the active gallery being edited! :D
I'm excited!!!!

p.s. You could even allow the admin to set the "default" layout, by which all new albums are created from (rather than only the Imagevue default). I say this simply from seeing the multitude of options already available! :P
» I Imagevue X3 «

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

26 Sep 2014, 06:14

Ok good folks of planet earth, here comes a mass-reply to questions and comments posted recently. I am backtracking from the discussion about mega menu, which now is integrated already of course. If you are looking for a specific reply, just browse the tag/question quoted above each answer.

mega menu
winph wrote:how about multi column menu in horizontal menu?
This is basically available in the new mega menu "list" option, which is quite smart.

mega menu
alexhenes wrote:Thanks for asking about this! I have a fairly deep menu structure on http://www.merelyafleshwound.com. In the Kayaking section there are 4 levels.... with the 3rd level containing a number of For example.... Kayaking.Colorado Arkanasas River.Clear Creek. The Clear Creek folder contains images. In addition... the Cycling section is 3 levels deep.
I remember reviewing your gallery menu several weeks ago while the new mega menu was being conceived. Prior to creation, I did a lot of studies on deep menu structures and mega menus, and made some thoughts about your menu structure in specific: Basically I would propose that your menu is created from the website owners perspective, in a way that does not offer much benefit to the visitor. The structure is too scattered, and the depth is not consistent ... Any visitor who is viewing your gallery, would not be able to find what they are looking for if they are looking for something specific, and if they are just "browsing", the complex structure does not offer them any benefit than a rather chaotic overview and too many clicks to get where they want.

My suggestion
If you check the new mega menu demo "concepts" menu section, this could perhaps be an option for you. You would still need to re-structure your galleries to a consistent depth level though. However, if I was you, I would even consider breaking down the structure completely and having all galleries in a single or just a few categories ... This would leave you with loooong menus you ask? I would perhaps hide these "lists" from the menu in the first place, and instead display them directly on one- or a few gallery pages, nice and browse-able for the user ... Consider a page like this http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/albums/list/, which could easily handle a large amount of galleries on the same level, in chronological order, easy to read for the visitor ... OR maybe a grid? http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/albums/pretty-grid/ ... OR a larger split layout? http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/albums/split/

As you may have understood, it is not required to add all X3 pages/galleries in X3 into the menu, because you can easily list albums directly in any (or several) albums overview page(s).

slidemenu offcanvas menu
Nondo wrote:Maybe it's just on my end but one thing I noticed with Alex's multi leveled kayak gallery is just how "jittery" the menu navigation can be. Is that something that can be adjusted with these new galleries? For example, when opening up the deeper menus it seems as though mouse movements are hyper sensitive, so my cursor/selections are scrolling up and down rapidly.
If you check the new slidemenu navigation layout, you can see this is no longer an issue, as we implement modern scroll/swipe techniques. Try to open the "concepts" folder, and then open the "albums" folder within to see how the menu reacts when it is overflowing. This especially comes handy from touch screen mobile devices (try for yourself!).

release date
winph wrote:When will we be able to try it ourself? :) Public beta or we could purchase early beta?
esteban94 wrote:Any idea of a release date ? (I need to upgrade the design of my website ans the only way is to leard Adobe Muse and work...)
Zorenson wrote:So, when will we be able to get our hands on this?
Bulletproof IT wrote:What is the ETA for a beta or public "usable" version of ImageVue v3?
morgenius wrote:I would like to know the actual release date.
andreamarucci wrote:I think the only question from us will be just "when" :-)
See this post from earlier today:
viewtopic.php?p=35026#p35026

search
eskimo121 wrote:I forgot to mention about the Search button.
I have some cool ideas for integrating search, especially with the site-preload option where the search may even be able to utilize data that is already loaded into browser. In either case, search will be somewhat limited in X3 when it comes to folder depth and details. Don't count on using it for 100s of gallery folders, with intricate details, as that would require a database to work effectively. On the bright side, the search should be nice to use, and blazing fast.

performance
Zorenson wrote:It looks a lot better than X2, and the performance in X2 isn't that good :)
Performance in X3 is top-priority, and X3 is already quite fast! As emphasized in the new website post, X3 already utilizes a range of modern techniques: ajax loading, script/style minification, Gzip compression, server caching, localstorage caching and recently full website preloading. More can be done, but it doesn't get much more performant than this, relative to the fact that image galleries are somewhat heavy by nature because a lot of media needs to get loaded and displayed.

hotspot
cshetler wrote:Any plans (please!) on incorporating the image "hotspot" functionality currently in the X2 gallery?
Its far from the top of the list, but it definitely can be done.

Several recent questions from Bulletproof IT:
Bulletproof IT wrote:Just so you know, your site looks great, but there are quite a few dead images. "This image could not be loaded..."
http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/grid/grid-300/
I can't see there are any broken images on this page. It could have been a glitch in the internet at some point, or on the server? I am using basic shared hosting for the website, and I wouldn't want it any other way since this is to be used similarly for most clients.
Bulletproof IT wrote:Does this X5 update have a tool to "Find broken media" in the gallery??
This should not be necessary. If an image does not exist, it will not list in the page.
Bulletproof IT wrote:NEXT / PREV BUTTONS
That looks like a rendering glitch in the specific windows browser you are using. If you are using IE, I would be interested to know in the inspector if in fact the html code for the navi duplicates also (which would prove or disprove it was a rendering glitch). I can check this later myself also ...

Having said that, the next/prev article buttons are experimental and optional, and are not considered critical to navigation, especially now with the new accessible mega menu and fixed topbar option. There are several issues with these buttons, especially on smaller screens, and depending on the width of the content below.
Bulletproof IT wrote:Rather than "fixed-on-scroll-up", perhaps we could also have "fixed-on-scroll-updown"??
This is already possible. See examples:
fixed topbar-float
fixed topbar-center

I would perhaps recommend using the more modern approach topbar-fixed-up, because it offers easy access to the menu, while keeping it out of the way when scrolling content. This technique is employed in modern applications like Facebook (try the app on an iphone or ipad), as well as modern functional websites like medium.com (click to see example).
Bulletproof IT wrote:AJAX/CACHE BUG / POTENTIAL PROBLEM
I have also experienced the memory issue once in Chrome, but I am not quite sure why it happens ... There is nothing I know that can be done in JS to "flush" memory in browser or anything else that may have been loaded. As for general memory usage, these days for desktops, a few 100MB is not considered a vast amount, especially considering the "virtual memory", where the OS will use the harddrive for segments of memory. Keep in mind when displaying a large retina image in Imagevue, for example 2000x1800 px, this will take perhaps 5MB memory ... 50 images in a page may take ~300MB ... add the scripts and object data, and a modern image gallery will need to consume a modern amount of memory.

I will ask around a bit about the "memory leak" ... Thanks for pointing this out.
Bulletproof IT wrote:#1. Will there be commenting and the ability to preview image comments?
We already employ disqus comments, as outlined here gallery comments. Do you mean comments for separate images, in the popup window? This should be possible at some point, in which case it would be some kinda "comments" button, which when clicked would create an overlay listing comments and allowing to add new ones. Sounds reasonable?
Bulletproof IT wrote:#2. When on the preview page, will you also have "Social" share buttons?
I believe what you are calling "preview page", I currently identify as "popup" ... Yes, social sharing is definitely an important element we will be adding in the near-future to images (and pages). I would like to spend some time doing it nicely, without bloating the interface, and without loading tons of separate scripts from each 3rd party service.
Bulletproof IT wrote:#3. When you hover on an thumbnail, will it display the number of comments too?
I believe that would be possible, but this would need to be added to feature-requests, and will likely only be added after we have sharing and comments on a per-image basis.
Bulletproof IT wrote:#4. When clicking on the Next / Previous buttons in preview mode OR full screen mode, I find if you "slightly" move your mouse off the [>] button, you lose the preview or full screen preview.
Could you please make it like X2 where if you click the 60% RHS of the screen, it advances, and if you click on the 40% LHS of the screen, it goes back??
It just seems a little fiddly, having to try and find which image you were up to, and resume the slide show, etc. :D
You mean if you click just a nano-meter outside the button, the slideshow closes? True. Sounds like a good suggestion to me ... I will add it to my list.
Bulletproof IT wrote:#5. Will X5 have the ability to auto create Thumbnails, Preview image and Full Size (not original, but resized Full image)? (e.g. Per gallery image resize in X2)
This is already one of X3's huge assets: Imagevue X3 will create, and store (on server), an array of image sizes, depending on the page and device that requested the image. Here are a few examples of images that are created and cached on server, based on requests from various devices and various layouts:
http://mjau-mjau.com/render/w100-h0-c1: ... elight.jpg
http://mjau-mjau.com/render/w200-h0-c1: ... elight.jpg
http://mjau-mjau.com/render/w320-h0-c1: ... elight.jpg
http://mjau-mjau.com/render/w480-h0-c1: ... elight.jpg
http://mjau-mjau.com/render/w640-h0-c3: ... elight.jpg
http://mjau-mjau.com/render/w800-h0-c3: ... elight.jpg
http://mjau-mjau.com/content/gallery/1. ... elight.jpg (original)

All this is handled automagically, as X3 will find the image sizes which most appropriately suite the layout, size and pixel-density of the device being used. If a requested size is not yet created and cached, it will be created- and cached on first request. Therefore (and for other reasons), a gallery may be slightly slow after adding new galleries, as the server will often be in a period of resizing and caching images.

However, in regards to your question about auto-creating a full size image (from original), there is still one crucial restriction: Most shared servers are still limited in terms of memory, and resizing from original (say 4000px) to "full size" (say 2000px) will create timeout or server error. I believe you can resize FROM quite large images, but the CREATION / WRITE size is limited ... I have tracked it down to around max 1400px size, but it depends on colors and aspect of the image also. Because of this, we still need to maintain guidelines for image sizes, and per now I would recommend pre-creating "full size images" at say 1600 or 2000 px long side (as done in mjau-mjau demo) prior to upload. This is basically the full-size image, when viewed from a large desktop or large retina device.

By default, Imagevue uses the "original size" when this size is requested (on large/retina devices), but will create resized images starting from 1280 px and downwards. 1280px, because it is a safe size to resize to, but resizing to larger sizes is likely to cause errors.
Bulletproof IT wrote:#6. Your website was displaying an Internal Server Error 505 at URL
Could be you were checking the website while I was updating. X3 is relatively power hungry after initial setup and/or updating, because it likes to cache images, templates, and ajax outputs so that eventually everything is super smooth. Having said that, I am not too happy about my hosting to be honest ... Support and control panel is quite good, but its quite under-powered and doesn't handle stress very well ... That's good for testing purposes though.
Bulletproof IT wrote:#6b.Can't connect to MySQL server on 'internal-db.s58451.gridserver.com' (113) [2003]
This is at least entirely separate from Imagevue, which does not use MySQL at all ... Its just my host which struggles at times, this time with the database connection used in the forum. As mentioned, not too impressed by my hosting.
Bulletproof IT wrote:#7a. When dragging my mouse back, in Slideshow/Big Awesome/ ...
Can't reproduce this from Mac at least. I will need to diagnose these things all in time ...
Bulletproof IT wrote:#7c. On /slideshow/inline/, when I click click click click really quickly, it advances, advances, advances, goes backwards, goes backwards, advances, advances....
Again, can't reproduce from Mac at least. There is definitely chance of glitches with these UI modules when put under a lot of pressure, especially with browsers all doing things a bit differently. Personally, I would only use the "drag" from a touchscreen device.
Bulletproof IT wrote:#8. Exactly how does one exit out of the Full Screen slider? I cannot see any X to take the user back to some sort of standard page where they can see the menu. I guess Browser Back is the only option?
You don't see the fullscreen-toggle button top right when you move the mouse?
Bulletproof IT wrote:#9. Browser history and being able to go back images with back button of browser and forward too?
Really? It works flawlessly here. Try going here (which is in fact html5 deep-linking, accessing an image directly):
http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/grid/grid-3/?pop:Bananas

Then try to navigate a bit forwards with the next button. Then try to navigate back and forth with the browser back/forward buttons, and it should navigate nicely between images in the popup. It will also navigate out of popup window, as all states are preserved.

There is a glitch with this behavior is you are using chrome in fullscreen. Why? Because chrome for some reason chooses to exit fullscreen when manipulating the URL field with html5. Therefore, history navigation in popup states is disabled when Chrome is in fullscreen mode.
Bulletproof IT wrote:#10. /carousel/styled/ Another image not found, and for the first time, a thumbnnail could not be found.
Must be a similar glitch in the internet. When I check from here, they all load:
http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/carousel/styled/
Bulletproof IT wrote:#11. /carousel/autoheight/ Can this carousel be made so when it gets to the end, it doesn't then slide all the way back to he start?
There are some limitations, especially with the autoheight option, which creates an ugly gap when trying to create a loop (which is in fact an option).
Bulletproof IT wrote:#13. Ok this might be a complicated question... But when you have an item on the coursel or slideshow, is thre a way to "activate" an element, so that you can be taken to that specific page? e.g. if you want to give someone a URL to a video on a carousel, rather than the whole carousel, you could do it in X2 due to Flash's deep linking.
This should be possible similar to how the slideshow deep-linking works, for example:
http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/slideshow ... The-temple (navigates to the "temple" image initially).

I remember there were some complications for the carousel, so I did not enable it by default to the demo pages at least, but it should be available.
Bulletproof IT wrote:#14. Within album /albums/black-and-white/, you don't actually mention the setting to have all images set to B+W or Sepia. Are there filter overlays that can do this where they don't modify the image and /or simply manipulate the output? Sepia, Toy Cam, Vintage, B&W, etc, just applied to a gallery rather than permanent changes to the images.
We haven't explicitly added any image filters at this point, but its a good idea and it would be easy to implement. Keep in mind, these effects would rely CSS filters, which are not supported in internet explorer, and have only partial support in Firefox ... You would have to live with it as a "progressive enhancement".
http://caniuse.com/#feat=css-filters (browser compatibility)
http://codepen.io/rss/pen/ftnDd (good demo of all the filters available)
http://css-tricks.com/almanac/properties/f/filter/ (in depth)

The images you see in the /black-and-white/ are in fact pre-rendered black and white.
Bulletproof IT wrote:#15. /albums/camera/ has a missing thumbnail, but the preview image (slideshow) is however visible... FYI.
#16. /albums/perspective/ many of the preview images are missing here. FYI.
#17. /albums/style/ has lots of missing images too. FYI.
All images still don't load for you? They all work here:
http://mjau-mjau.com/albums/camera/
http://mjau-mjau.com/albums/perspective/
http://mjau-mjau.com/albums/style/

As mentioned earlier, this is a glitch in the internet. It could be related to the server sure, but it is not the doing of Imagevue X3 with broken images.
Bulletproof IT wrote:FUTURE SUGGESTION: :D
#18. An idea for you. To allow owners to preview what things look like on the front end, you could have a similar X2 Admin Menu that appears on the front-end when logged in as admin in the backend.
I have already had this in mind for a while, and I believe it would be a great addition once we get the opportunity to integrate it. I would like to add admin capabilities directly to the frontend, with a panel of buttons that allows editing the current page being viewed. It would perhaps not have global capabilities, but you could edit the current page, upload images, and change the layout.
Bulletproof IT wrote:p.s. You could even allow the admin to set the "default" layout, by which all new albums are created from (rather than only the Imagevue default). I say this simply from seeing the multitude of options already available! :P
I believe this may be somewhat necessary. Many users will likely use 1-3 gallery layouts throughout the entire website, and with good reason ... It is not logical that a visitor would benefit from viewing galleries in mixed layouts (as demonstrated in the mjau-mjau website), instead of having a relatively consistent experience. Therefore we may need a "global default" option for layouts, that can be overridden on a per-page basis.

Artur
Imagevue PowerPack

26 Sep 2014, 13:17

I have to confirm some issues and confusions with the navigation, mentioned before.
There's definitely a glitch with the nav buttons ("<, >") in chrome on windows, but seems to be fine on the same browser installed on my rMBP :roll: .

As for the fullscreen button - it is a bit tricky :) I don't know how the fullscreen mode is intended to work here, but I guess that there's just missing the "global fullscreen" option.
Open an "pop:", fullscreen it, then close that "pop:" and the site stays in fullscreen without "exit fullscreen" button ( you may naturally ESCape from the keyboard).
Opening the main (home) page, the "fulscreen button" at the top appears to say: "Hi there! click me, I'm a global full screen button", but no, only the slider images goes here... :x

In my opinion, the fullscreen functionality should to be accessible at every stage (at least an option for that in admin panel), not only for images - what is obvious.
The X2 is done perfectly in this case (I mean separation of the full screen / full size and zoom), but obviously flash is more "flexible" for such things.

As for the memory consumption. I never bothered with these matters (as I have 64 gigs of ram installed on my main workstation), but there is, in fact a significant consumption :)

Nothing else to say from my side - the X3 going right way! :D
The only expectation important to me is the "standalone static image page" which will be an addition to "pop:" (I mean - whenever I would share/post/send a link to image, I would rather linking to page static, with meta dedicated the image, instead of linking to the gallery folder with taht image in "pop" mode) :wink:

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

27 Sep 2014, 01:20

Artur wrote:I have to confirm some issues and confusions with the navigation, mentioned before.
There's definitely a glitch with the nav buttons ("<, >") in chrome on windows, but seems to be fine on the same browser installed on my rMBP :roll: .
Will look into this issue in the next few days ...
Artur wrote:As for the fullscreen button - it is a bit tricky :) ...
Ok thanks for the feedback on this, which is understandable from a consistency perspective. For now, the fullscreen buttons are linked to the gallery modules they are displaying, and I do not see any critical issues at least. When users enter fullscreen mode from wherever, modern browsers always display a large text "click escape to exit fullscreen", so I think the visitor pretty much remains in control of the state. The main issue for now is that there is no place for a global fullscreen button, and besides, the fullscreen button for the slideshow has a different function in that it takes only the slideshow fullscreen for optimal focus.
Artur wrote:As for the memory consumption. I never bothered with these matters (as I have 64 gigs of ram installed on my main workstation), but there is, in fact a significant consumption :)
I have posted about this issue on stackoverflow, awaiting any responses that may be helpful:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2606 ... ion-chrome

It really is a peculiar issue, but there must be some kinda leak somewhere. Good news is, this has not seemed to be an issue throughout testing, even on an iphone. Maybe it deals with the memory somehow ... In fact, I can probably check that also!
Artur wrote:Nothing else to say from my side - the X3 going right way! :D
The only expectation important to me is the "standalone static image page" which will be an addition to "pop:" (I mean - whenever I would share/post/send a link to image, I would rather linking to page static, with meta dedicated the image, instead of linking to the gallery folder with taht image in "pop" mode) :wink:
I agree. There are a few challenges with this feature, but it is quite high on the list of things to do.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

27 Sep 2014, 01:52

I just did some testing, and I can confirm the "ghosting" issue with the article-nav buttons, but only in Windows Chrome. The problem also seems to affect the scroll-nav buttons, as seen on the unstyle page. It seems to work fine in Windows Firefox and Explorer (feel free to confirm). For now, Im going to simply disable these two progressive-enhancement nav features on windows.chrome because it is some kinda render bug affecting fixed position with these elements. I will try to workaround it later ...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

27 Sep 2014, 11:09

Minor update
http://mjau-mjau.com/updates/#27sep14

Chrome memory bug patch - notes
As debated in recent posts, there was some kinda memory leak in Chrome, which somehow occurs with ajax-pages and lazy-loaded images in combination. This only happens in chrome, not other browsers like Safari.

I have now patched the issue, and I call it a patch because it seems to do the job, but there are still strange things going on and I am not quite sure what Chrome browser is up to. Now, the memory clears, but only after accessing a new page with minimum 1 image (for some reason) ... That does solve the issue at least, because it prevents memory usage from accumulating when navigating between galleries.

I posted more info in this post at Stackoverflow.

Artur
Imagevue PowerPack

27 Sep 2014, 16:37

mjau-mjau wrote: Ok thanks for the feedback on this, which is understandable from a consistency perspective. For now, the fullscreen buttons are linked to the gallery modules they are displaying, and I do not see any critical issues at least. When users enter fullscreen mode from wherever, modern browsers always display a large text "click escape to exit fullscreen", so I think the visitor pretty much remains in control of the state. The main issue for now is that there is no place for a global fullscreen button, and besides, the fullscreen button for the slideshow has a different function in that it takes only the slideshow fullscreen for optimal focus.
No critical issues with that at all :) I commented on that just because of fullscreen mode dependency which makes the confusions (looking from a regular user perspective):
in X3 "fullscreen" has different meanings (where in X2 , fullscreen === global fulscreen).
Also:
mjau-mjau wrote:(...) modern browsers always display a large text "click escape to exit fullscreen" (...)
Causes a small issue... When you try to access the main menu, "click escape to exit fullscreen" text appears just on top, so you need to be hurry clicking the menu items before the text cover them :)
mjau-mjau wrote:I just did some testing, and I can confirm the "ghosting" issue with the article-nav buttons, but only in Windows Chrome. The problem also seems to affect the scroll-nav buttons, as seen on the unstyle page. It seems to work fine in Windows Firefox and Explorer (feel free to confirm). (...)
I confirm that. No ghosting on the other browsers (I have all up to date).

morgenius
Experienced

28 Sep 2014, 03:27

Hello!

1. Is it possible to connect a russian social network profile vk.kom to commeting blog posts and photos? Vk.com is a biggest russian social network, daily audience of the site is more than 60 million people. This is a very important tool for the photographer in Russia.

2. Will be possible to make sub-albums? Like this: Weddings -> 2014 -> Tony and Viki

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

28 Sep 2014, 13:18

morgenius wrote:1. Is it possible to connect a russian social network profile vk.kom to commeting blog posts and photos? Vk.com is a biggest russian social network, daily audience of the site is more than 60 million people. This is a very important tool for the photographer in Russia.
I am aware of VK. Do you have any examples of other websites that are using vk.com for commenting posts and photos? If they have a widget for this, it should not be too difficult to integrate into X3.
morgenius wrote:2. Will be possible to make sub-albums? Like this: Weddings -> 2014 -> Tony and Viki
Yes, Imagevue X3 supports any folder depth.

morgenius
Experienced

28 Sep 2014, 18:06

Yes, of course. The sample integration of VK service you can see in plugins of Wordpress engine.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

30 Sep 2014, 05:27

Update! Sidebar Layouts

Proud to showcase the new sidebar layouts, which gives a new dimension to X3:
sidebar left (default)
sidebar right
sidebar w/ fixed logo

Update log
http://mjau-mjau.com/updates/?layout=sidebar

Comments
There are a few inaccuracies with content margins when using sidebar layout, primarily because the content is formatted with topbar layout in mind. There are also a few minor bugs when resizing the browser between navigation states (mobile/desktop), but rest assured it works well from a mobile device.

We have plans to eventually integrate mega-menu functionality into the sidebar menu option (similar to topbar mega menu), but for now, there is a recursive menu list.

I spent the best part of a day designing- and optimizing scrollbars for the sidebar and slidemenu layouts when the menu overflows the screen. On Mac and touchscreen devices, no scrollbar modifications are applied, because they have their own passive/native scrollbars that only appear on scroll, and do not interfere with the layout. In Windows, we have added design+functionality to scrollbars that appear in the sidebar and slidemenu.

win.webkit (Chrome/Safari) = Applied some smooth unobtrusive scrollbar styles.
win.firefox = minor modification. Firefox scrollbars don't allow styling!
win.explorer = Applied some smooth unobtrusive scrollbar styles, although it is not possible to change width or arrows from IE.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

30 Sep 2014, 05:31

morgenius wrote:Yes, of course. The sample integration of VK service you can see in plugins of Wordpress engine.
Yes it can be done ...

morgenius
Experienced

01 Oct 2014, 04:23

mjau-mjau wrote:Yes it can be done ...
Thank you, Karl!

I will be really waiting for this amazing engine for photographers :)