Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

illunis
Experienced

Re: Imagevue X3 [playground]

14 Feb 2014, 07:30

mjau-mjau wrote:
illunis wrote:What i would like to see is a demo gallery with pictures inside to get a feel of how they look like and play around with different styles.
Did you not check out all the gallery page examples in the concepts section? All the pages here are basically folders with images uploaded. Perhaps I should have called this section "gallery" to be more clear? As you can see, there are tons of variations for a gallery layouts, including slideshows, vertical layouts and grids.

For your convenience, I created 2 more examples, just to emphasize the gallery content:
http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/more/clean-grid/ (remove header and footer)
http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/more/just-images/ (remove header, footer and context)

Actually, they look quite nice without the menu. Galleries could be available like this, although it would require a side menu to be available touch/mouse-hover, or at least some way to navigate "back".
Yes i checked but didnt get the idea....now with the two additional galleries i can start getting a better view. I guess X3 will have the ability to create sub-menus as well like in X2.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

14 Feb 2014, 08:30

hardliner wrote:On the Comment Plugin is required to register or login wit another account.
Can you comment without login on my website?
Well, this is the one of the advantages of using Disqus comments. Users can log in with Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or an existing Disqus account:
Furthermore, you can in fact allow "guest commenting", but I am not sure why you would allow this. When visitors are forced to comment with an account, you can be almost sure they are real people with real agendas, and not anonymous trolls or spammers.

Disqus comments has an awesome management interface, and you can use it for any type of page. Here are comments on a gallery page:
http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/more/gallery-comments/

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

14 Feb 2014, 08:32

hardliner wrote:Next Question is: Can i make various Gallerys Password Protected?
illunis wrote:Very important for me and i guess for other users as well !
This will be added soon!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

14 Feb 2014, 08:46

illunis wrote:Yes i checked but didnt get the idea....now with the two additional galleries i can start getting a better view. I guess X3 will have the ability to create sub-menus as well like in X2.
Do you not see the main menu with submenus? This basically works the same as with X2, except the menu is horizontal here by default:

For smaller devices, the side-menu comes into action. This menu will optionally also be available to use on large screens:

I guess what you are referring to are the gallery links directly in the main content area? That is a new (incomplete) feature of Imagevue X3, but it does not mean that you can't also display all folders as sub-menus in the main menu (just like X2). Get it?

I can understand that it can be difficult to grasp some concepts of X3 at this point, since the design is so different from X2.

illunis
Experienced

14 Feb 2014, 08:49

mjau-mjau wrote:
illunis wrote:Yes i checked but didnt get the idea....now with the two additional galleries i can start getting a better view. I guess X3 will have the ability to create sub-menus as well like in X2.
Do you not see the main menu with submenus? This basically works the same as with X2, except the menu is horizontal here by default:

For smaller devices, the side-menu comes into action. This menu will optionally also be available to use on large screens:

I guess what you are referring to are the gallery links directly in the main content area? That is a new (incomplete) feature of Imagevue X3, but it does not mean that you can't also display all folders as sub-menus in the main menu (just like X2). Get it?

I can understand that it can be difficult to grasp some concepts of X3 at this point, since the design is so different from X2.
Yep...you are right ofc....its hard yet to associate the new concepts since i "see" everything with an X2 viewpoint. :oops:

drzylvon
Experienced

15 Feb 2014, 09:12

Hello,

Just as I was thinking "hmm strange that nothing moves anymore in X"..

I have to say I'm pleased with what I see ! I REALLY like what I see :-))

Just a couple of questions/requests.

-For password protection, it's indeed a big requirement for me and I'm using it already in X2. But may I kindly request a slightly more developped model with perhaps user management (identified people : Mary, Roger, John + "anonymous passwords" like in X2)
I'd like to be able to say "this gallery is visible to Mary & Roger", "this one is visible to John", "this gallery is visible to anybody using the password".

-For navigation, we currently click on those left & right arrow icons, will we be able to set the clicking area to the full halves of the images? Some competing galleries I've used before had this and I liked it much, you don't need to move your mouse too accurately to navigate quickly, if you don't want to use the keys.

-I believe it's still rather early but will there be an "upgrade" licence for existing users?

-About image resize. Does the resize happen server side before it's send to the client? I was never quite sure it was the case and that's why I ended up chosing rather "mediocre" file size.

-I like GRIDS a lot but I think the justified view of flickr is a little cleaner. In Flickr, height is fixed and they fit pictures through adjust width. Also, could we set as a parameter the size of the separator and it's color ? Currently Grid Cubes Big has white borders, GRID 5 Big has none. So the user could set this ?

I'm looking forward to trying it out, do you have the faintest time frame for beta stage?

Greetings,
Z.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

16 Feb 2014, 03:24

drzylvon wrote:-For password protection, it's indeed a big requirement for me and I'm using it already in X2. But may I kindly request a slightly more developped model with perhaps user management (identified people : Mary, Roger, John + "anonymous passwords" like in X2)
I'd like to be able to say "this gallery is visible to Mary & Roger", "this one is visible to John", "this gallery is visible to anybody using the password".
We will definitely be adding password-protection, although we will need to consider how feasible it is to include an advanced user-groups password system. Will definitely consider it!
drzylvon wrote:-For navigation, we currently click on those left & right arrow icons, will we be able to set the clicking area to the full halves of the images? Some competing galleries I've used before had this and I liked it much, you don't need to move your mouse too accurately to navigate quickly, if you don't want to use the keys.
Are you referring to the slideshow- and/or popup module as below? (minimized screenshot)
By default, simply clicking anywhere on the image will go to next image, as that is normally the direction people will be navigating. Being able to click full halves of the image to choose direction is not a bad concept either, but I am not convinced it is a better solution. Keep in mind we have users on touch devices also ...
drzylvon wrote:-I believe it's still rather early but will there be an "upgrade" licence for existing users?
Yes! We want to show appreciation for existing customers.
drzylvon wrote:-About image resize. Does the resize happen server side before it's send to the client? I was never quite sure it was the case and that's why I ended up chosing rather "mediocre" file size.
Yes, the server resizes the image before it is sent to the browser. Imagevue X3 will however cache all resized images in a folder, so technically the actual resizing-process only happens initially as your various pages and layouts are accessed from various devices for the first time. Your gallery may therefore seem slightly sluggish on the first few visits. Thereafter, Imagevue will simply serve the resized images stored on server. As you can see at mjau-mjau.com/concepts/grid/grid-cubes-big/, the images load relatively fast because the resizing has already happened, and Imagevue is simply serving cached pre-resized image files.
drzylvon wrote:-I like GRIDS a lot but I think the justified view of flickr is a little cleaner. In Flickr, height is fixed and they fit pictures through adjust width.
Are you referring to layouts like this https://d.pr/i/liXp? This is already scheduled for integration, and you will see examples shortly. We aim to offer any modern layout variations into Imagevue. The "grid" variations you are currently seeing in the examples, are basically "masonry" style layouts, perhaps best exemplified here: http://chromeography.com/. Both variations have a few benefits vs advantages.
drzylvon wrote:Also, could we set as a parameter the size of the separator and it's color ? Currently Grid Cubes Big has white borders, GRID 5 Big has none. So the user could set this ?
I tried to add some variations to the galleries, just to emphasize that you can apply various visual features across any gallery. Yes, the "gutter width" can be applied on a per-gallery basis. Color? There is currently no colors for the grid separator, and it simply shows the page background color between the element. You can easily apply colored frames around images though, as is emphasized in this example.
drzylvon wrote:I'm looking forward to trying it out, do you have the faintest time frame for beta stage?
A good question. I may need another week just to figure out a vague timeline for this. Will let you know!

Thanks for feedback!

drzylvon
Experienced

16 Feb 2014, 04:38

First, thanks for your reply ! Well, I tried to quote your quotes but didn't really manage in a proper way. Please read the quote in quotes :-P
mjau-mjau wrote:
drzylvon wrote:-For password protection, it's indeed a big requirement for me and I'm using it already in X2. But may I kindly request a slightly more developped model with perhaps user management (identified people : Mary, Roger, John + "anonymous passwords" like in X2)
We will definitely be adding password-protection, although we will need to consider how feasible it is to include an advanced user-groups password system. Will definitely consider it!
Great
drzylvon wrote:-For navigation, we currently click on those left & right arrow icons, will we be able to set the clicking area to the full halves of the images? Some competing galleries I've used before had this and I liked it much, you don't need to move your mouse too accurately to navigate quickly, if you don't want to use the keys.
Are you referring to the slideshow- and/or popup module as below? (minimized screenshot)
By default, simply clicking anywhere on the image will go to next image, as that is normally the direction people will be navigating. Being able to click full halves of the image to choose direction is not a bad concept either, but I am not convinced it is a better solution. Keep in mind we have users on touch devices also ...
Hmm I'm used to the "click" forward of X2 but I've missed that "halves" clicking quite a few times. But I see your point about touch devices, there isn't any "mouse over" visual feedback indeed.
drzylvon wrote:-I like GRIDS a lot but I think the justified view of flickr is a little cleaner. In Flickr, height is fixed and they fit pictures through adjust width.
Are you referring to layouts like this https://d.pr/i/liXp? This is already scheduled for integration, and you will see examples shortly. We aim to offer any modern layout variations into Imagevue. The "grid" variations you are currently seeing in the examples, are basically "masonry" style layouts, perhaps best exemplified here: http://chromeography.com/. Both variations have a few benefits vs advantages.
Yes, I was referring to that
drzylvon wrote:Also, could we set as a parameter the size of the separator and it's color ? Currently Grid Cubes Big has white borders, GRID 5 Big has none. So the user could set this ?
I tried to add some variations to the galleries, just to emphasize that you can apply various visual features across any gallery. Yes, the "gutter width" can be applied on a per-gallery basis. Color? There is currently no colors for the grid separator, and it simply shows the page background color between the element. You can easily apply colored frames around images though, as is emphasized in this example.
Yes, with background, no need for color, didn't think of it.
drzylvon wrote:I'm looking forward to trying it out, do you have the faintest time frame for beta stage?
A good question. I may need another week just to figure out a vague timeline for this. Will let you know!

Thanks for feedback!
Thanks for the great "alpha"

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

17 Feb 2014, 12:09

As requested by @drzylvon, and as a scheduled, I have now added a new Justify layout option. Demos:
http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/justified/default/
http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/justified/small/
http://mjau-mjau.com/concepts/justified/mega/

I have also added an update log, to track progress (for those who are interested):
http://mjau-mjau.com/updates/

I will be somewhat less active for a 10-day period (starting from today), but I will still be updating here and there.

drzylvon
Experienced

17 Feb 2014, 14:07

You made my day :-) Works fine & looks good on chrome. Exciting !

Doesn't seem to work on firefox. Something I noticed on my tablet. Generally everything would work well on Chrome Tablet (running jelly bean on a samsung galaxy stab 2) but not on the native browser.

But as you said, perhaps a little early to start device debugging.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

18 Feb 2014, 00:02

:? doesnt work in Firefox here either. Guess it was slightly premature ... will look into it!

fsfs
Experienced

18 Feb 2014, 10:50

Hi Karl!

Amazing done with the new core - I love it - two thumbs up!

Two questions.

1. Will there be a feature added like "proofer" section for clients to view their photosession, and comment etc?

2. A album viewer - is this possible? Spread sheets like a real album?

--Best wishes.
FS

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

18 Feb 2014, 23:52

mjau-mjau wrote::? doesnt work in Firefox here either. Guess it was slightly premature ... will look into it!
Fixed Justified layouts, works in all major browsers Chrome, Firefox, Explorer, Safari and Opera.
View update log

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

19 Feb 2014, 00:07

fsfs wrote:1. Will there be a feature added like "proofer" section for clients to view their photosession, and comment etc?
Do you have any examples of this? Would it be anything else than a hidden and/or passworded gallery folder, with a comments section?
fsfs wrote:2. A album viewer - is this possible? Spread sheets like a real album?
Certainly, this will be a main feature of new X3. There is already some functionality ready, but currently it only displays a generic image instead of a preview-image from the album. This example is basically an 'album viewer', or what I would like to call a 'folders' module. If you can imagine the images being populated with preview-images from the albums, and then there will be several layout variations also.

fsfs
Experienced

19 Feb 2014, 05:26

mjau-mjau wrote:
fsfs wrote:1. Will there be a feature added like "proofer" section for clients to view their photosession, and comment etc?
Do you have any examples of this? Would it be anything else than a hidden and/or passworded gallery folder, with a comments section?

Yea correctly...
fsfs wrote:2. A album viewer - is this possible? Spread sheets like a real album?
Certainly, this will be a main feature of new X3. There is already some functionality ready, but currently it only displays a generic image instead of a preview-image from the album. This example is basically an 'album viewer', or what I would like to call a 'folders' module. If you can imagine the images being populated with preview-images from the albums, and then there will be several layout variations also.
I'm sorry Q #1+#2 are similiar.

I was thinking something like this with the sheets: http://www.onlinealbumproofing.com/beta ... friend/756

And about the comments, yes you've that already. I just saw this for vision: http://photopressdemos.com/album-proofi ... -and-uros/