Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

ed_f
Experienced

Re: X3 Images Sitemap Creator

12 Sep 2023, 04:22

It doesn't work on Google alone, even though the map is uploaded to Google only and Google asked for identification?

I hope I don't always have to expect to be thought stupid when I ask for help or advice here. I'm definitely not an expert, but I'm trying to learn and am able to build a website on my own - thanks to your X3! well, almost. if you, karl, feel bothered, let others answer, if they like, please. because I'm afraid not to be in need for the last time ;-)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

12 Sep 2023, 06:38

ed_f wrote:It doesn't work on Google alone, even though the map is uploaded to Google only and Google asked for identification?
I'm not sure what you mean here. First of all, you don't "upload" sitemap.xml to Google, you just notify Google about the existence of your sitemap.xml. It will then, at some point, read the sitemap.xml and study the links inside.

Also, /sitemap.xml is added to the root of your website, and it's normal that most search engines will look for sitemap.xml in that specific location, and use it if found. Why not? The whole point of sitemaps are to help all search engines locate pages and images on your website. Why would you limit it to Google only?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

12 Sep 2023, 06:39

The Images Sitemap Creator was included in latest release X3.32.0. See release post:
photo.gallery/blog/photo-gallery-x3-32/

ed_f
Experienced

16 Sep 2023, 15:14

a week after creating sitemap (and pushing it to google) images with names of people in description still do not appear in searches. can I improve results, how?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

17 Sep 2023, 00:06

ed_f wrote: a week after creating sitemap (and pushing it to google) images with names of people in description still do not appear in searches. can I improve results, how?
One week is not very long. According to this post, it could take from 4 days to 6 months. And that would be relative to your website authority, traffic and relevance.

Happy to take a look if you send a link, but it may easily take longer than one week.

You do seem a bit suspect about this script, which I guess is understandable. There is no "magic wand" to get images ranked high on Google, as it depends on your website authority, popularity, relevance of images, context of images, and how unique they are. This script will notify Google about your images that it otherwise might not find, nothing more nothing less. What it decides to do after indexing your images is up to Google, and X3 can't offer anything more from a technical perspective. You will likely find your images, eventually, under specific site:search at least, and possibly under unique searches if your website is popular enough and your images are specific and unique enough. You are competing with billions of other images that also want to get ranked in search, and Google will show the ones it thinks are best match for the user/search.

ed_f
Experienced

17 Sep 2023, 04:13

thanks, I was just wondering if it is enough to just mention something (here: someone) in „description“.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

17 Sep 2023, 05:16

ed_f wrote: thanks, I was just wondering if it is enough to just mention something (here: someone) in „description“.
It's not clear what you mean.

If you have an image name "giraffe.jpg", then that itself implies that the image contains a giraffe. Google doesn't need any more info than that to be able to index your image, and it doesn't know what a "description" is. If the page the image is on (image landing page?) has more details about giraffe "long neck, lives in Africa etc", this will provide Google with more information about the image, and possibly boost it's importance.

ed_f
Experienced

17 Sep 2023, 05:24

does that mean that „description“ just isn't seen by a searchengine at all? i.g. I do not change my filenames.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

17 Sep 2023, 08:25

ed_f wrote: does that mean that „description“ just isn't seen by a searchengine at all? i.g. I do not change my filenames.
If the page that the image is on contains additional related information about the image, then this can be considered the images "description". In the case of X3 images in the sitemap linking to the image landing page, that page will of course include the image's description. What Google makes of this is up to Google, but as noted previously, it will look at the image, image name and the text/context of the page the image is on. This text/info may then be used to display the image in search.

You might be overcomplicating? It's quite straight-forward. Let's search for a bird "black-capped chickadee" on Google > Images:

It will show images that best match the search, with images on pages that display best information about the subject, on websites that have collected authority and rank through popularity. Clicking the image will show an enlarged version, which links to the page that contains the image, displaying text and meta data from the page.

The image url itself is just a name, with very little info.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 69%29.jpeg

The reason the image is listed so high, is because it's then linked to a page with perhaps the best information about the image search, in this case Wikipedia, which carries much authority:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-capped_chickadee

For Google, there is no such specific thing as "description". It will find images, and then rank them based on the subject of the image, and the related content on the page it's on. In this example, it will find a lot of information on the target link specifically for "Black-capped chickadee", thus it will rank very high.

One thing is getting your images indexed, another thing is being able to rank high in search. It's almost impossible for private websites to rank high on generic search, unless your website covers unique search phrases.

With X3 when using the sitemap, Google will find your image descriptions on the "image landing page" and possibly use it to compliment the image in related search. There is no such specific thing as "image description" for Google or other search engines.

ed_f
Experienced

17 Sep 2023, 08:41

it's always a good idea to lookout for chickadees ;-)) of course I was always referring to the description field of your gallery, which is the same i.e. in bridge. my test is someone known (to certain people) with a very rare name (like mine ;-)), of whom google finds only one single (bad) photo. I lookout to when it finds mine. I'll check regularily and report.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

17 Sep 2023, 09:08

ed_f wrote:of course I was always referring to the description field of your gallery, which is the same i.e. in bridge.
Yes, and X3 will show that description on the image landing page, which is one of the reasons it's useful to link each image inside it's own image landing page. You can't just tell Google what the description for an image is up front ... It doesn't care ... It wants to see what humans will see when they find the image, so it can consider the image's worthiness on image searches.
ed_f wrote:my test is someone known (to certain people) with a very rare name (like mine ;-)), of whom google finds only one single (bad) photo. I lookout to when it finds mine. I'll check regularily and report.
Sure. You can even search "site:yourwebsite.com certain person with rare name" to see if Google has indexed your image. The point of the sitemap.xml in X3 isn't to make your images rank higher than images from other websites. It's to make sure Google indexes your images with correct information in the first place. It's then up to the quality and context of your website and the images in your website to decide how well they rank amongst all images related to the same search phrase on other websites.

metallissimus
Experienced

18 Sep 2023, 14:11

ed_f wrote: I do not change my filenames.
If this means the images on your website have filenames like IMG_1234.jpg I would very highly recommend changing this. This is maybe the most important (and luckily the easiest) way to have your images rank higher in search results.

If I remember correctly, your German speaking? Google for "Bilder SEO" to find some basic tutorials to have better rankings with your images.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

ed_f
Experienced

28 Sep 2023, 12:06

I refer to karl stating "X3 will show that description on the image landing page". but it still does not, not even with "site:yourwebsite.com certain person with rare name" - these do not appear. but if I post something on a forum this is found only minutes later.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

28 Sep 2023, 21:37

ed_f wrote: I refer to karl stating "X3 will show that description on the image landing page".
I'm not sure what you are referring to here. Yes X3 will always show the image's description on the images landing page. See for yourself in the link below. This has nothing to do with Google indexing it or not.
https://demo.photo.gallery/galleries/la ... ntarctica/
ed_f wrote: not even with "site:yourwebsite.com certain person with rare name" - these do not appear.
Assume you mean your images are not showing up at all in Google search? As noted, this could take a long time or not at all, because Google won't do whatever you want it to do. The sitemap is there to make sure Google is AWARE of your images and pages, and then it can and will decide what it wants to do with it.

Please send me a link to a specific image that you think should be indexed, and I will be happy to take a look.
ed_f wrote: but if I post something on a forum this is found only minutes later.
Do you have an example? I can't even find this announcement if I search "site:forum.photo.gallery X3 Images Sitemap Creator", so this entire topic isn't even indexed yet. I would definitely find that more peculiar than you not getting separate images indexed in Google image search.

Also just to be clear, indexing forum pages is Google normal search not Google "image" search (click the "images" tab in Google), which are two very different things. This forum is relatively popular, and it makes sense that Google will index is relatively frequently.

ed_f
Experienced

29 Sep 2023, 03:44

with pleasure! take some from here. like "georg von keller", or "christine kaupmann" or "gerda kaltenbruner".

on the other hand my question, for which problem I continued searching, appeared in google less than an hour later, I'd say within minutes!