X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Cecile
Experienced
Topic Author

png in start page for transparency

07 Oct 2010, 02:07

Hello

i would like to use a png for the photo on startpage, because I need transparency.
But transparency of my png is not taken into account, i just get a white background in my photo.

I also tried using a gif, but then the photo is not even taken into account, although I asked for it as start image, it keeps showing flygirl or other photo

What can I do?

thanks for your help

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: png in start page for transparency

07 Oct 2010, 06:13

Unfortunately, flash (and therefore Imagevue) does not support PNG or GIF files with alpha-transparency when loaded into the gallery.

The only way to workaround this, would be to import the PNG into the Flash authoring-environment (if you have flash), and then export as SWF and use this file as background.

I am not sure why your GIF file was not even displaying. I would have to check your link to diagnose this.

Cecile
Experienced
Topic Author

07 Oct 2010, 12:48

Hello and thanks for your answer,

Well as far as I know, flash supports png with transparency very well ! i am using them all the time, ...

But never mind, We decided just to get rid of the photo..

Thanks for your offer anyway, if we ever change our mind, i'll come back to you so you can test the GIF and see what's wrong with it.

Have a nice day

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

08 Oct 2010, 07:50

Regarding PNG transpareny, YES flash supports it, but NO not when loading the image dynamcally with loadMovie command.

Cecile
Experienced
Topic Author

09 Oct 2010, 01:45

Well, don't know what to say, I never had this problem with the loadMovie function...
It does take my png as they are...

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

25 Oct 2010, 07:31

Let me look into this for next release ... As it is right now, we are simply doing a loadMovie call for the PNG file, so we are certainly not actively adding any background to the PNG from our side. However, there may be some newer actionscript methods that support the PNG transparency somehow ... I'll take a look into this for next release coming soon ...

Sorry for the late reply -

Cecile
Experienced
Topic Author

25 Oct 2010, 08:52

I am using flash cs3, and it takes the png transparency with loadMovie, which is good news ain't it ?

Any way we found another solution.

Thanks !

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

25 Oct 2010, 13:38

ok =)

There may be another reason it seems your png are not transparent: Normally, when you load them, it will still display ON TOP of a frame which is set by default. You would only see it as transparent if you DISABLED the image frame ...

Cecile
Experienced
Topic Author

25 Oct 2010, 14:07

all right, I shall try this out.

png are showing nicely with transparency in text pages and that's great.

I think we are almost over with the website for the time being.

The customer might want to make a ecommerce next year, so I shall be back.

thanks for your help Karl.

Christopher
Experienced

26 Oct 2010, 03:33

Morning all,

I've been watching this thread with interest. I also have been trying
to work with image transparencies and as of yet have not had success.
In regards to the image frame, I currently have no image frame set as
well but transparencies for gifs and pngs still default to the matte.

From what I gather, transparencies aren't currently supported/working
with imagevuex. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Christopher

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

09 Nov 2010, 11:34

Christopher wrote:I've been watching this thread with interest. I also have been trying
to work with image transparencies and as of yet have not had success.
In regards to the image frame, I currently have no image frame set as
well but transparencies for gifs and pngs still default to the matte.

From what I gather, transparencies aren't currently supported/working
with imagevuex. Is this correct?
Sorry for the late reply Christopher -
This is a multi-faceted question. The reason transparent GIF/PNG files may not be working in Imagevue, might still be the frame, even if you have a frame width of 0px. WHY? Because we actually still render a background behind the image to control certain aspects(before image is loaded etc.), so it is there even though it doesn't actually frame the image. Now, did you try loading your PNG as a filemod (for a folder) instead? This would certainly answer the issue if the imagevue flash at all supports transparency for loaded PNG files.

The reason I have been skeptical to this, is because I tested this quite some time ago, and flash always rendered a square frame round the image. This may have changed with new flash releases though, so I am looking forward to check this out shortly. If PNG transparency is supported now, I will certainly add a fix so the frame doesn't effect this functionality. However, it will not work with frame enabled though ... I don't see how a transparent image would look nice with a frame anyway, even if we made i transparent in the middle ...

Edit -
Actually, come to think of it, there may be a "bitmap" script that is interfering with transparent images. We clone images with actionscript prior to display to give them an improved scaling effect. I will see if this may be some culprit also!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Nov 2010, 04:07

Support for PNG transparency has now been added to the next pending release =)

There was in fact two factors preventing this:
# We use a special bitmap-clone script in flash to clone images before they are displayed, and to improve the scaling quality. However, this script does not like transparency.
# Even if frame is disabled, the frame was operating in the image background.

So although this is now fixed, please beware of the following:
# PNG files may seem pixelated if they are scaled, this because we had to exclude them from a smoothing script to maintain the transparency.
# If you have frame enabled, transparency of the PNG will naturally only show the frame background.

Christopher
Experienced

11 Nov 2010, 05:03

That's great news Karl!

Thanks for looking into this, just one more great thing about imagevuex!

Christopher