Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

English to German please 🇩🇪

15 Dec 2020, 00:34

Hallo! I am working on interface-translation for next X3 release, and since German is the most popular language, I was wondering if someone can help translate a few items from English to German. Below are a few items with Google translate values. Please let me know if any improvements can be made!
  • image = bild
  • images = bilder
  • folder (album) = mappe
  • folders (albums) = ordner
  • map = karte
  • comments (disqus) = kommentare
  • chat = chat
  • play (audio player) = abspielen
  • pause (audio player) = anhalten
  • styles (X3 style previews) = stile
Thanks!

pede
Experienced

Re: English to German please 🇩🇪

15 Dec 2020, 02:01

The translations are appropriate from my point of view.
Only the capitalization is to be considered with the nouns.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

15 Dec 2020, 03:45

Thanks!
pede wrote:Only the capitalization is to be considered with the nouns.
It's a an interesting point. To keep things consistent, I have decided to mainly keep translations consistently lowercase. Besides, for most important items, I now prefer to read "4 images" instead of "4 Images" (because it's not a sentence, and there is no need for capitalization) ... It could be different in German? For some items like [Play] (audio button), I will force capitalization via CSS.

Also, you will be able to edit the language CSS file(s), so you can always add your own cAsE and/or words if necessary. Optionally, language items are also styleable via CSS, so you can easily enforce "text-transform: capitalize" or "uppercase" via custom CSS.

trpgforum
Experienced

15 Dec 2020, 04:42

Hello Karl!

Indeed in german it's important to write:

1 photo >>>1 Foto
4 photos >>>4 Fotos

1 picture >>> 1 Bilder
17 pictures >>> 17 Bilder

1 gallery >>> 2 Galerie
2 galleries  >>> 2 Galerien

1 item >>> 1 Eintrag 
3 items >>> 3 Einträge 

folder (album) >>Galerie (= my preference, see above)  but other would' may be say:
                          1 Ordner or 3 Ordner 
                           1Album or  4 Alben
1 map >>> 1 Karte
3 maps >>> 3 Karten

1 comment >>> 1 Kommentar
5 comments >>> 5 Kommentare
chat >>> Chat

My english is very bad, but in this direction to german it's also for me an easy job :-)
Have a beautiful day!

Thomas
THOMAS RUF PHOTOGRAPHY
Landscape - Nature - Macro
4132 Muttenz
Switzerland
www.thomas-ruf.ch

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

15 Dec 2020, 07:29

Interesting that it needs to be Capitalized in German. I'll take it into consideration ...

tbp
Experienced

15 Dec 2020, 11:13

Hi Karl

From my perspective capitalization is a must if you want to provide a german translation.

Best,
Tom

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

16 Dec 2020, 02:04

tbp wrote:From my perspective capitalization is a must if you want to provide a german translation.
I have decided to Capitalize all words by CSS. Next release will include interface languages BETA, so let's see how it goes ... It's currently only a few words that need to get translated anyway.

metallissimus
Experienced

22 Dec 2020, 08:57

Only saw this now, just want to add a little bit to what Thomas already said:
folder (album) >>Galerie (= my preference, see above) but other would' may be say:
                          1 Ordner or 3 Ordner
                           1Album or  4 Alben
Galerie would be my favorite translation for the frontend, too, because as a visitor you don't want to browse Ordner, which sounds quite bureaucratic. In the backend I feel like the more literal translation Ordner would be more suitable. Album/Alben to me feels a little bit dated, it's not a word that's commonly used a lot anymore except for Fotoalbum maybe, which has kind of a sentimental touch – an Album usually is something that holds treasured memories.
1 picture >>> 1 Bilder

17 pictures >>> 17 Bilder
Small mistake there, singular is 1 Bild.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

22 Dec 2020, 23:02

Ok thanks. So this is the current translation to DE in original format:
Code
/* de.css [German] */
[data-lang="chat"]:after { content: 'chat'; }
[data-lang="comments"]:after { content: 'kommentare'; }
[data-lang="folder"]:after { content: 'galerie'; }
[data-lang="folders"]:after { content: 'galerien'; }
[data-lang="image"]:after { content: 'bild'; }
[data-lang="images"]:after { content: 'bilder'; }
[data-lang="map"]:after { content: 'karte'; }
[data-lang="pause"]:after { content: 'anhalten'; }
[data-lang="play"]:after { content: 'abspielen'; }
[data-lang="styles"]:after { content: 'stile'; }
The language files (like above) will be located in /app/public/lang.de, and can be edited. Capitalization will happen from CSS as I would like to keep translation files consistently lowercase for best practice. It would not hurt if you edit the file and add UpperCase translations.
metallissimus wrote:In the backend I feel like the more literal translation Ordner would be more suitable.
New translations are strictly for the frontend for now, which is probably most important. Panel translations will be much more extensive, and will be covered in Panel 2.0 when I can get started on that.

trpgforum
Experienced

23 Dec 2020, 01:46

Great work, thank you very much!
I'm really looking forward to the long awaited next version.

Best regards
Thomas
THOMAS RUF PHOTOGRAPHY
Landscape - Nature - Macro
4132 Muttenz
Switzerland
www.thomas-ruf.ch

metallissimus
Experienced

23 Dec 2020, 04:44

Looking good!
mjau-mjau wrote:Capitalization will happen from CSS as I would like to keep translation files consistently lowercase for best practice.
This approach works for single words, but if at some time you have to deal with multiple words, it's probably no longer enough.
German capitalization rules in short: Nouns are always capitalized as are names and the beginnings of sentences. Verbs are not capitalized (except at the beginning of a sentence).
So "play" can become "Abspielen" (because you can say on its own on a button it's like at the beginning of a sentence), but for example "play music" must be "Musik abspielen".
I don't know if this might be relevant at one point in the future, just want to mention it already.
www.danielbollinger.de – corporate photography
hochzeiten.danielbollinger.de – wedding photography

ed_f
Experienced

23 Dec 2020, 11:33

hi karl, pause is NOT anhalten, but pausieren, anhalten would be stop. while these words are really international, play, pause and stop seem appropriate to me for german too. as I always write "minuscule" (even in german) I don't care about the problem of capitals.

I would like to know when x3 becomes obsolete, as I am just now starting a whole new page with it, which I would not like to dump within a short while after having experienced that before elsewhere ...

ulfklose
Experienced

23 Dec 2020, 12:54

Why should it become obsolete, ed_f.

Won't one be able to update to the next release? I'm relatively new in the world of X3.

And I'm willing and able to help with the translation.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard
Topic Author

24 Dec 2020, 00:07

Thanks for all the info on Capitalization in German. For now I am Capitalizing words in buttons and short phrases anyway, so it doesn't make much difference. Translations can easily be changed and modified in the future, both for the public version (that comes with the X3 release), and you can also modify your local version (if required).
ed_f wrote:hi karl, pause is NOT anhalten, but pausieren, anhalten would be stop. while these words are really international, play, pause and stop seem appropriate to me for german too.
Indeed, and I believe it's like that in many languages. Right now, I just need the most "optimal" German version of Audio-"Play" and Audio-"Pause" or Audio-"Stop" (it doesn't really matter which one it is, as long as the meaning is correct. Technically, it's a pause-operation). Also, if it's better to simply keep "Play" and "Pause", then that can be done also.
ed_f wrote:I would like to know when x3 becomes obsolete, as I am just now starting a whole new page with it, which I would not like to dump within a short while after having experienced that before elsewhere ...
Is this a question? It should perhaps be a separate topic. This language update will be out within 1-2 weeks, and is part of a big update to the X3 popup.

ed_f
Experienced

24 Dec 2020, 05:35

maybe I misunderstood something - so there is no x4 in preparation which would make x3 obsolete, it is only about some details? what is meant with the "x3 pop-up"? except for capitalization I am ready to help with german translations!